Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok well i know i seem like an idiot now, but for some reason DRIP wont emerge for me. I get through all of the dependencies and then i get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

more ebuilds problems

Ok well i know i seem like an idiot now, but for some reason DRIP wont emerge for me. I get through all of the dependencies and then i get this

checking for mpeg2_pts in -lmpeg2... no
    configure: error: libmpeg2-0.2.1 (http://libmpeg2.sourceforge.net/) is needed NOTE: configure libmpeg2 with --enable-shared!
    How can i use version 0.2.1 when emerge got me 0.4.0b. I searched for the older version. How can i configure that. DO i need to unmerge then find the source elsewhere and compile myself.

Also i emerged xine today but i cannot play dvd's with it. I made my symlink to my player but it says it cant find the plugin....

There is no input plugin to handle 'dvd:/'
    i wasnt aware i needed separate plugins, or am i missing something???

Just Joined!
    ok i'm not sure what could be up with the first problem you could try emerging the unstable version and see if that works, you would need to run ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge drip if that doesnt work i have no idea, you could alternativly emerge dvdrip which i use quite often and works great...

with your second problem what you need to do is open xine and go prefs - input and then down to the dvd device bit and change it to you dvd device which (as it's not dvd:/) will be something like /dev/cdrom or /dev/rdvd which is is on mine...

hope that helps...

Linux Engineer
    It sounds like you have your USE flags set up incorectly. To get dvd support in xine emerge it like this:

Code:
    USE="dvd" emerge -av xine
    If the you see +dvd in blue text then you can go ahead and say yes to emerge it and it will have dvdread support.

Please post your entire /etc/make.conf. Also do:

Code:
    emerge search libmpeg2
    This will show you the sub dir in /usr/portage/ that the mpeg2 ebuilds are stored in and if you do

Code:
    ls
    in that dir then it should hopefully show you and old ebuild of mpeg2 which you can then emerge. before you do that though it may allso be an errror in the ebuild for drip asking for the wrong version of libmpeg2 (its just a text file and there are thousands of them so that some error in an uncommon app like "drip" could well go unnoticed). either way please reply with some more info especialy your /etc/make.conf.[/code]

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    ok well the xine issue was solved. Me like an idiot had my sym link poinitng to the wrogn drive. But the mpeg2 thing is still unresolved. Libmpeg2 is emereged it just seems liek ti si configured wrong. It doenmst matter tho as i have gotten dvd shrink to run nicely on wine through xwine and with dvdbackup to rip the vobs im back in the game without drip. PS dvd:rip emerged flawlessly even though i have no use for it now lol

Just Joined!
    ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge drip
    Is not recommended. It is a work around, but if the build fails halfway through you could end up w/ a totally borked system! Have you checked to see if its a known issue on bugs.gentoo.org yet? Also, what do you have defined for features in your makefile?

Quote Originally Posted by gnuageux
    ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge drip
    Is not recommended. It is a work around, but if the build fails halfway through you could end up w/ a totally borked system! Have you checked to see if its a known issue on bugs.gentoo.org yet? Also, what do you have defined for features in your makefile?
    If you have sandbox enabled, the system-borking will be a moot point. But using ACCEPT_KEYWORDS= or USE= on the command line is deprecated in favor of /etc/portage/package.keywords and /etc/portage/package.use (see man portage).

But back on topic...it does sound like the --enable-shared should be an option in in your libmpeg2 compile (specified in the makefile or config file generated by ./config).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Unless your as bright as me and have run into access violations when compiling, As a result ive merged masked packages by using FEATURES="-sandbox",