problems in menuconfig during installation
so im at the part where your in menuconfig configuring the kernel manually. how do you put a * in a [ ]??? aka... how do u make something like:
[ ] Ext 3 journalling file system support
to look like this
[*] Ext3 jornalling file system support
???:confused: , i thought u just highlight it and press enter but it doesnt do anything.
also i have some questions about stuff in the handbook...
1) what is PPPoE, i need to know if i need to do this...
(With a 2.6.x kernel)
Device Drivers --->
Networking support --->
<*> PPP (point-to-point protocol) support
<*> PPP support for async serial ports
<*> PPP support for sync tty ports
all i know is that i connect to the internet through a cable modem which is connected directly to my onboard lan...
2)when editing the network how do i know if i need to manually set the ip for eth0 or auto detect it?
3) how do i know if i have more than one network interface and need to make more initscripts or not?
4) what am i supposed to do when i "# nano -w /etc/rc.conf", just make sure everything looks right?
5) how do i know if my hardware is using UTC or not? should i jsut put local sincei dont know?
6) in GRUB, would my hda1 be hd0,1? and hda2 hd0,2 and so on????
please respond if you have any answers pertaining to any of my questions. the faster the response the quicker. i will be checking this very periodically withinthe next 3 hours of this being posted. thanks in advance for all the helpful info.