Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been using GIMP for making GIFs lately. They don't turn out very smooth. I have seen some GIFs online that are smooth but I cannot achieve that using ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Imaging... not very smooth...

I have been using GIMP for making GIFs lately. They don't turn out very smooth. I have seen some GIFs online that are smooth but I cannot achieve that using GIMP. Does anyone know how I could get them to look smoother?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for other image editing apps that work well for you, I'd like to know.

Thanks
    Running Linux Since 2001
    Registered Linux User #430868 - Since 91206

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by flipjargendy View Post
    I have been using GIMP for making GIFs lately. They don't turn out very smooth. I have seen some GIFs online that are smooth but I cannot achieve that using GIMP. Does anyone know how I could get them to look smoother?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for other image editing apps that work well for you, I'd like to know.

Thanks
    That depends what you mean by "smooth".

What size images are you making, and are they animated GIFs?

If you're making static GIFs and they look jagged, then you should look at the brushes you're using and use smoother brushes and use anti-aliasing.
    Or, you can make the images larger than you want them, then scale them to the correct size when you're done. The GIMP will resize the image and it will look smoother when viewed at the correct size.

If you're making animated GIFs, then you need to look at the interval between frames. Shorter intervals will result in smoother frames, but you'll need more of them.
    Longer intervals will give you jittery animations.

Also, in the case of the animations, you have to make sure that each frame is drawn in a way that makes the animation look realistic.

I'm mainly having problems with text looking choppy. I checked GIMP and it looks like this "anti-aliasing" is set on by default. I'll give the scaling down technique a try and post how it goes.

Thanks
    Running Linux Since 2001
    Registered Linux User #430868 - Since 91206

Just Joined!
    With text, you should first check the settings. I'm not sure what they all do, but "Hinting"'s tooltip says that it alters edges to create crisp bitmaps at small sizes, so maybe you can try disabling that, too.

And you should also be sure to change the mode to "Indexed" before you save the file, so that you have more control over the settings.