Find the answer to your Linux question:
Please, I am after some help being a newbie and used corel draw years ago. When using these programs for creating montages for quick print-outs I was able to just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gimp help newbie

Please, I am after some help being a newbie and used corel draw years ago.
    When using these programs for creating montages for quick print-outs I was able to just click the image on the corner resize then add another pic and move it freely around the page but, I find that I am unable to do the simplest thing in GIMP.
    HELP!!!! I just need to import, resize then add then save/print in less than 2 mins

Any assistance welcome.

cheers
    hairy

From 1 Harry to another hairy. Here: linux for designer

Enjoy.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Gimp - Steampunk photography

I found this nice article today. It may help somebody.
    Imran
    Linux User #467555 | Debian Squeeze | Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU 4500 @ 2.20GHz | Gigabyte GA-G41MT-ES2L
    | 2 GB RAM | 320 GB SATA | Kernel: 2.6.32-5-686

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by hairy1 View Post
    Please, I am after some help being a newbie and used corel draw years ago.
    When using these programs for creating montages for quick print-outs I was able to just click the image on the corner resize then add another pic and move it freely around the page but, I find that I am unable to do the simplest thing in GIMP.
    Gimp is oriented to raster images (pixels), while corel is oriented to vector drawing. Gimp is more like photoshop. If you want something in the lines of corel, you might be happier with inkscape.

HELP!!!! I just need to import, resize then add then save/print in less than 2 mins
    Well, learning new things is rarely painless. About "importing", the degree of dificulty will depend on what do you exactly want to do.

There's also the possibility of using corel and photoshop under wine, I guess.

Hi

I'm only a novice user of The Gimp, but I can tell you that it uses layers and that you have to select and scale the different layers in your montage (you can see the different layers by pressing tools --> layers). Say you have a photo of a man. This is the first layer. Then you take another photo of some glasses which you copy and paste onto the first photo of the man. The photo of the glasses are the second layer now. To make the glasses bigger click on the scale tool (third line down, 4th tool across) while the glasses layer is selected and use your mouse to extend it to the size you wish. Pressing control at the same time as you do this will ensure that the glasses layer retain the original proportions. Hope that helps!
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Linux Guru
    I just want to second Inkscape. I LOVE IT. I believe the guys had a strong influence from Corel Draw. If that one doesn't suit you can install Xara LX. It's mostly open source but the rendering engine is not.

Personally I'm more than happy with Inkscape.