Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hello, all! So here's the thing. I managed to finally get CRUX installed, and am ready to take a screenshot to share my glorious triumph... mostly glorious. Still got a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] Screenshots & such?

Hello, all!

So here's the thing. I managed to finally get CRUX installed, and am ready to take a screenshot to share my glorious triumph... mostly glorious. Still got a few wrinkles to iron out ! I would like to know if:

1) Is there a good program for something as simple as screenies that doesn't rely heavily on either KDE or GNOME libs? Stand-alone style?
    ) If there is... how to invoke it?

Thanks!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux Guru
    Hi.

Since I use KDE and the KSnapshot program, this doesn't fit your requirements. What type of desktop does CRUX use? I see that there is a XFce plugin called screenshooter.

GIMP has the option of taking a screenshot. But when I use it, it just runs the KSnapshot program. I believe that it should work without KSnapshot, or any other outside program, so give that a try.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

The default WM for CRUX is BlackBox... but I'm using IceWM. And since it really is a brand new install, I don't have any GNOME or KDE libs installed. (Gonna try to go without). So really, the GIMP ain't a bad suggestion.

Thanks
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    OK, I ran GIMP again, and this time it didn't open KSnapshot. Instead it opened it's own screenshot window.

The good thing about taking the snapshot with gimp, is you can then resize and edit it right away.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Sweet! Thanks for that. Cuz it'll come in handy! I really do appreciate the input... now to see what I can get going!
    Jay

New Member FAQ

oz
    forum.guy
    I really like using ImageMagick for my own screenshots.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    I really like using ImageMagick for my own screenshots.
    I'm at work now, but I got ImageMagick downloaded and installed. We'll see how that goes. Thanks, everybody. I think I got what I needed!
    Jay

New Member FAQ

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    I'm at work now, but I got ImageMagick downloaded and installed. We'll see how that goes. Thanks, everybody. I think I got what I needed!
    I think the import command is what you'll be interested in.

You'll find Imagemagick to be extremely powerful.
    oz

import looks great! Thanks for the link.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Okay, I installed ImageMagick and the GIMP. I would love to use either one of these to post a shot. One question remains... How does one go about using these programs from CLI? (I haven't edited my Preferences menu yet).
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast