Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Guy's. I have the Knoppix Live CD and like the idea of GIMP. I can get it up and running fine, but how do I import one or other ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Knoppix Gimp

Hi Guy's. I have the Knoppix Live CD and like the idea of GIMP. I can get it up and running fine, but how do I import one or other of my photo's into it? I have lots of photographs on my Win XP setup and GIMP for Windows handles them fine, but once in Knoppix I am lost. What do I have to do to get a photo into GIMP so that I can try and manipulate it it? Hope someone can help. Cypher

It should be exactly the same, just go to File > Open to bring a photo in. Is it an older Knoppix/Gimp release?

Just Joined!

Knoppix Gimp

Hi Bigtomrodney. Thanks for the reply. Didn't expect one so quick. Knoppix is 5.1.1 so not so old I think. It is strange really. Obviously my ignorance is showing here, but I did try the 'open' idea as I do in Windows GIMP, but it never offered me any options to retrieve files from like the Win edition does. I thought it would have listed /hda/ or one of the USB disks, but nothing. Cor! I must be very dense or something. Getting on okay with Gimp otherwise, well I can take a snap of the Gimp tools and play around with it, but there has to be more than that. Wonder if I plug an SD card into the USB slot, would it pick the photo's off that? Have to give it a try later. Hey! Thanks anyway for bothering with me and my problem. I will learn the technique sooner or later. Regards Cyper

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'll have a look later at my own Gimp install. I'm just wondering though are you trying to edit photos or build a photo collection? It kind of sounds like you want to import your photos to a library style application. Gimp wouldn't be suitable for that as it is for editing/artwork. I use F-spot for my photo library and a lot of other people use Gwenview or Digikam the same way.

Just Joined!

Knoppix Gimp

No. Not trying to create a library or anything like that. I have all my photo's in libraries on other drives, all created in Win Photoshop. All I want to do is to p[ick one off those drives and work on it in Gimp. Does that help? Regards Cypher

Just Joined!

Knoppix Gimp

Hey guy's. Can't belive that no one knows the answer to what bugs me. Ok so I have Gimp opened and click on and need to import a photo into is so that I can work on it.

I get a box and at the bottom there is a slot where I am supposed to enter a URL. I have tried everything but never get anywhere. So what am I supposed to enter to get a photo off one of my hard drives? Please can some nowledgeable Gimper set me right. Thanks a lot. Cypher

This is the standard open dialog

3.* Opening Files

You can browse to files as you would normally. However there is sometimes a collapsed option With "Browse for other files" beside it. Can you see this in your dialogue?

Just Joined!

Knoppix Gimp

Hey guy's. How stupid can a guy get? Problem solved....how did I do it? Mounted the hard drive that has all my photographic work on it. Selected a photo and let Knoppix open it with Gimp. What a joy to see it work, this software is a dream. Many thanks to all who took the trouble to help this dummy. All I need to find out now, is how to get Abiword into my Knoppix. Can't find it on the Knoppix CD Version 5.1.1 Regards. Cypher
    Last edited by cypher000; 01-09-2009 at 06:20 PM. Reason: addition

Glad you got it sorted and sorry I overlooked asking if your drives were mounted

Just glad it's going