Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, greetings! i was wondering if you could point me to making gif animations using GIMP + GAP ? i read the docu on the official site, and a few ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

More documentations and DIY for Gimp + Gap

Hello, greetings! i was wondering if you could point me to making gif animations using GIMP + GAP ? i read the docu on the official site, and a few more from u users would be welcome!

PS: do any of you guys make avatars on request?

Thanks, Good Day!

Hi thetuxracer-

First of all, welcome to Linux Forums! I have two solutions for you. They are both very useful and equivalent, it just depends on what you like to do and are more comfortable with.

GIMP Specific: taken from Making Animated GIFs With Free Software in Four Steps

Now that we have our directory full of jpegs, we should open the first of these files in The GIMP. Then, open the remainder of the images in the directory as layers (File -> Open As Layers). Every image in that directory should now be a layer. Now save the file as a .gif and choose to "save as animation" as opposed to "flatten image." Click export. Lastly, it is important to make sure "loop forever" is checked if you want a GIF that loops forever. The other options here can drastically change the effect of your gif because they change the speed that the gif is displayed at. A relatively fast gif will have a 15 millisecond delay between frames. The default delay of 100 ms is a bit slow in my opinion. Under frame disposal where unspecified I select "one frame per layer." I check "Use delay entered above for all frames" and "Use disposal entered above for all frames."

Non Gimp Specific: (This is what I do)
    1.) First create your images that you want to animate. I like to name them something easy: IMG-01.gif, IMG-02.gif, IMG-03.gif...

(you can start with .gif or with .png, whatever you like. Imagemagick will convert it into gif in the end.)

Be sure to use the leading 0's depending on how many you want to create. If I have 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, then this method will put 10 before 2 because of the leading 1.

2.) Use Imagemagick to piece them together: (if you don't have imagemagick, install it. It is quite useful)

convert -delay 30 -loop 1 *.gif animated_gif.gif

The delay argument in convert will change the time that you spend at each image. You can play with this number as needed.

the loop argument says how many times you want to loop it when it is opened
    Linux since: 2001
    Gentoo since: 2004
    - - - - - - - -
    Translation:
    I fix things until they break.

Just Joined!
    thnks, that was useful! can i post back if something goes wrong? or if a get a doubt?
    thanks!

Not specific to gif animations, but this is a comprehensive guide to the GIMP.

Grokking the GIMP - Learning Advanced Image Editing Techniques

thnks, that was useful! can i post back if something goes wrong? or if a get a doubt?
    Please do.

Although if your question has to do with things that are more in depth and gimp specific then reed9's link will probably be able to provide a better answer than me.
    Linux since: 2001
    Gentoo since: 2004
    - - - - - - - -
    Translation:
    I fix things until they break.