Find the answer to your Linux question:
how does a video file get processed in a computer??...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Video file processing

how does a video file get processed in a computer??

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Not a simple question. It's sort of like "How do we get rain?" or "How does the wind blow?"... So first off, what precisely do you mean by "processed"? Do you mean how does a video file get rendered and displayed on your computer monitor? Or how does a video source get processed into a video file? ??
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

It sounds like a homework question to me....but a little Google Search never hurt anyone.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Interesting that this posting is at the top of the search results...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Not a simple question. It's sort of like "How do we get rain?" or "How does the wind blow?"... So first off, what precisely do you mean by "processed"? Do you mean how does a video file get rendered and displayed on your computer monitor? Or how does a video source get processed into a video file? ??
    i meant the former one..

The simple answer:

1. The system reads the file and passes thru a bit of decoding software called a codec (coder/decoder). That puts the video into a common intermediate form.
    2. That intermediate form is passed to the video sub-system using the provided API's (Application Programming Interfaces). On Linux, the video sub-system is X11.
    3. The Video sub-system passes the data to the video board driver using it's API's.
    4. The video board takes the raw data and renders it to a frame buffer on the board for output to the actual display.

Note that this is just conceptual. In many cases, the video sub-system (X11) will first render the video stream to a system frame buffer and that is passed to the video board. In reality, it is all just a bit of FM (Farking Magic)...