Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to convert an MPEG-2 file from a DVD into WebM, but I can't get it to include more than the default audio track (I'd like to preserve the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ffmpeg, webm, and multiple audio streams

I'm trying to convert an MPEG-2 file from a DVD into WebM, but I can't get it to include more than the default audio track (I'd like to preserve the commentary as well). Is this a limitation of WebM, libvpx, weak ffmpeg-fu, or what?

(One of) the command(s) I've been trying:
    Code:
    $ ffmpeg -i input.mpg -ac 2 output.webm
    My ffmpeg version, libraries, and such:
    Code:
    $ ffmpeg
    FFmpeg version 0.6.2-4:0.6.2-1, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 the Libav developers
      built on Mar 29 2011 16:14:25 with gcc 4.5.2
      configuration: --extra-version=4:0.6.2-1 --prefix=/usr --enable-avfilter --enable-avfilter
    -lavf --enable-vdpau --enable-bzlib --enable-libgsm --enable-libschroedinger --enable-
    libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-pthreads --enable-zlib --enable-
    libvpx --disable-stripping --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-vaapi --enable-
    libopenjpeg --enable-gpl --enable-postproc --enable-x11grab --enable-libdirac --enable-
    libfaad --enable-librtmp --enable-libdc1394 --enable-shared --disable-static
      libavutil     50.15. 1 / 50.15. 1
      libavcodec    52.72. 2 / 52.72. 2
      libavformat   52.64. 2 / 52.64. 2
      libavdevice   52. 2. 0 / 52. 2. 0
      libavfilter    1.19. 0 /  1.19. 0
      libswscale     0.11. 0 /  0.11. 0
      libpostproc   51. 2. 0 / 51. 2. 0

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    It depends upon the version of ffmpeg that you are using. I am running 0.6.1 and it has a couple of options that may help:

1. -ar - set number of audio channels
    2. -newaudio - add a new audio stream
    3. -request_channels N - set desired number (N) of audio channels

See the VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework! website for more information.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!