Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to create fuzz in the shape of a circle. Can this be done with GIMP 2.6? I tried selecting an area with the ellipse select tool and then ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

Creating circle fuzz with GIMP 2.6

I want to create fuzz in the shape of a circle. Can this be done with GIMP 2.6? I tried selecting an area with the ellipse select tool and then applying the fuzzy border filter, but it ignores the selected area and applies the filter to the entire image, which isn't what I want.

Just Joined!
    Have you tried feathering your selection? After you've made a selection, go to Select -> Feather... The more pixels you use for feathering, the more blurry it will be around the selection. After you've feathered, copy your selection and then maybe paste it as a new layer.

Mike
    Last edited by oz; 09-13-2011 at 10:19 PM. Reason: SPAM removal

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by mike-ocs View Post
    Have you tried feathering your selection? After you've made a selection, go to Select -> Feather... The more pixels you use for feathering, the more blurry it will be around the selection. After you've feathered, copy your selection and then maybe paste it as a new layer.

Mike
    That should work and will give you a circle of selected pixels with a gradient faded edge.

Here's another idea that will give you a different sort of fuzzy effect.

- make sure the layer/image has an alpha channel, with Layers -> Transparency -> Add Alpha Channel (1)
    - select the circle, make it whatever color you want
    - add holes in the circle with Filters -> Noise -> Spread
    --> the bigger the number you use the wider the fuzzy edge will be
    - expand the selection area with Select -> Grow (2)
    --> You amount you need to grow depends on how aggressively you "blur" in the next step, growing avoids an ugly hard edge
    - blur the circle to turn the holes into fuzzy areas Filter -> Blur -> Gaussian Blur

(1) If "Add Alpha Channel" is grayed out then you already have one.
    (2) If your blurring a circular area in an existing image, then to get what you want you might end up creating a new layer instead.

You can combined blur types for different effects, like using Filter -> Blur -> Motion Blur set to "Zoom / outward" in addition to gaussian blur.