Find the answer to your Linux question:
I did a whole-forum search on usbvision , and no hits, so I guess it's OK to go ahead with the post ... I have a camera that feeds composite ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Think I need to install usbvision module, to get video camera working

I did a whole-forum search on usbvision, and no hits, so I guess it's OK to go ahead with the post ...

I have a camera that feeds composite video to a Belkin USB 1.1 (yes, it's old) VideoBus device, that apparently contains a Nogatech chip. Searching for that chip, seems it used to require a driver, but for quite some time support has been moved into the kernel.

I'm almost positive the Belkin device is internally identical to a Dazzle DVC 80, a product that seems to have better name-recognition, if that's of any help.

I am a bit of a noob with this terminology, but after more searching, I began to think the support's not actually inside the kernel itself, but in a module called usbvision. Then, I also saw a reference to USB5 (don't know what that is) and v41-dvb (the module is 'part of that', it said). Anyway, from this I get, that I need usbvision ... is this generally correct?

However, a list of the modules in my EasyPeasy sub-distro of Ubuntu Lucid Lynx, shows that usbvision isn't there. For anyone to whom it would be helpful to look, I'll attach a text file that shows a list of my modules (among other things -- so just scroll down to the modules ).

I read you can just add it outright, or add it so it only installs as needed. The article gave that advice, and then just stopped there.

If this is what I need, then how do I go about actually getting this module into my OS? If there's a choice, can it be done without recompiling the kernel?
    Attached Files Attached Files

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, the 2.6.32 kernel does support USB video devices based on the Nogatech NT1003/1004/1005 chip sets. If you have one of those, you should be able to access the stream using the v4l (Video 4 Linux) device ids. IE, start the VLC media player, open the File/Streaming menu entry. Select the Capture Device tab, enable Video for Linux 2 or Video for Linux as the capture mode, and select the appropriate device id for the device. If it is the only video device on your system it should be /dev/video0. Then, click on the "Stream" button.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Well, the 2.6.32 kernel does support USB video devices based on the Nogatech NT1003/1004/1005 chip sets. If you have one of those, you should be able to access the stream using the v4l (Video 4 Linux) device ids. ...
    Thanks much for the step-by-step. I did try VLC a couple of days ago and was looking for reasons why it didn't work. But it's possible I didn't set it up correctly. Let me try again tomorrow morning, this time using the options you gave. Thanks much for the quick reply.

Just Joined!
    ... start the VLC media player, open the File/Streaming menu entry. Select the Capture Device tab, enable Video for Linux 2 or Video for Linux as the capture mode, and select the appropriate device id for the device. If it is the only video device on your system it should be /dev/video0. Then, click on the "Stream" button.
    Since there's a built-in webcam on the netbook, above the screen, I'm assuming that would be recognized as '/dev/video0' and so have used /dev/video1, for the Belkin USB Videobus, now connected. I couldn't immediately find a command that would verify the device description, but it seems a reasonable guess.

I clicked on Stream, and that brought up a window labeled Stream Output. That says Source: v4l:///dev/video1, Type v4l. Since the directions are to click Stream, I did this again. I am returned to the VLC player, but with no image being displayed.

If I instead click Next on the above window, then I see Destinations, New destination. File is displayed by default, and it would be added if one clicks Add (I assume). I do not want the video going to a File, so I leave this alone.

Below that, I see [x] Activate Transcoding, Profile Video -H.264 + AAC (TS). It is preselected. I assume this is OK?

At the lower right another button, Stream, so I click on that.

Now I am back again to the VLC media player, and I assume if the video were being streamed, the player's screen would pop open to display the video? However, I see nothing.

Help, please!

P.S.: As a test I selected the other video device, with the zero. This must be the built-in webcam? Then clicking on Stream, Stream, etc. I again get back to the LAN video player, but still with no image being shown. Is this normal? The webcam works in the Cheese default application that comes with the OS.
    Last edited by RCam; 09-28-2011 at 12:49 PM. Reason: added reference to trying to display webcam in VLC

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Oops. Sorry. I meant to go to the File->Capture Device menu entry. The form is about the same as for streaming, but instead of the "Stream" button, there is the "Play" button.

Just Joined!
    Oops. Sorry. I meant to go to the File->Capture Device menu entry.
    Thanks for the correction, but let me tell you what is happening now, so you may tell me what to do, next.

I'm clicking File -> Open Capture Device. Then, on the Open Media window, click Capture Device tab. Window displays Capture mode Video for Linux 2, Device selection Video Device name /dev/video1, Options Standard, Click Play.

Now I am back to the VLC Media Player, with v4l2:///dev/video1 in the title bar, but with the player 'collapsed' as if it were ready to play audio. The screen is not visible.

Any ideas?

P.S.: The Belkin VideoBus F5U207 is working in MS Windows, to rule out a hardware malfunction.

P.P.S.: As a test, I put in /dev/video0 and VLC popped open a screen, displaying the webcam feed. So this is an improvement over my initial trials, before posting here.
    Last edited by RCam; 09-28-2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Added the P.P.S. for new information.

You said this is a USB device. Can you please post the output of the command "lsusb -v" here?

Just Joined!

Smile

... please post the output of the command "lsusb -v" here?
    Yes, thanks! File is attached. Please let me know if you see anything of interest, as I would like to learn.

The file was generated with the video device attached and turned on.

The file opens with correct formatting in gedit and metapad -- but not in MS Windows' notepad. Please let me know if you have difficulty, and I will resend.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Well, there is no VideoControl Interface Descriptors defined, and the Interface Descriptors appear to be bogus, along with the message at the bottom "cannot read device status, Operation not permitted (1)" that indicates the system cannot operate the device. At this point, I am clueless. Sorry.

Just Joined!

Question

A post was located on the Nogatech/Zoran USBVision Device Driver forum from someone trying to get the same capture device working:

Details on the Belkin Videobus (F5U207) -- and what's inside:
    • NOGATECH USBVision NT1003-1B 9922
    • GLT440L16-50J4
    • SAA 7111A

For someone with knowledge of these things, does this give any clues at to why the unusual parameters?

P.S.: Result is the same with another operating system. I just tried to get the device to connect with the full desktop version of Ubuntu (Gnome) LTS, and then with PCLinuxOS, version from about six months ago.
    Last edited by RCam; 09-29-2011 at 09:12 PM.