Find the answer to your Linux question:
I found on the web an image of an obituary which I believe to be that of my great-grandfather. It is written in German, in the gothic script. The image ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How to make graphical text more readable

I found on the web an image of an obituary which I believe to be that of my great-grandfather. It is written in German, in the gothic script. The image is a jpeg and to small to read.

I tried enlarging it in the gimp, using the sine transform and I could just make out the odd word here and there but not much. Tools like sharpen and despeckle didn't seem to improve the image much.

Given that this is a plain black and white image with no half-tones, there should be a simple way to make the letters stand out enough to be legible, but I don't know enough about graphics and graphical terminology to work out what it might be.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Maybe one of the edge filters combined with sharpen?
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

I tried that and it didn't help much. I did get a slightly better enlargement using cubic scaling rather than sinc; it enabled me to puzzle out one or two more words, including the date of death and "nach schweren Leiden" (after great suffering) which makes me suspect that the poor guy may have died of cancer - it's practically hereditary in my father's family. But what I would really like to know is the place names and the names of the family members who filed the notice and you can't easily guess names.
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    I tried that and it didn't help much. I did get a slightly better enlargement using cubic scaling rather than sinc; it enabled me to puzzle out one or two more words, including the date of death and "nach schweren Leiden" (after great suffering) which makes me suspect that the poor guy may have died of cancer - it's practically hereditary in my father's family. But what I would really like to know is the place names and the names of the family members who filed the notice and you can't easily guess names.
    use Inkscape to enlarge using import

What about scanning it at very high pixels and resolution?? I had an image that I couldn't see who all was in it, so I scanned it to something outrageous amd that helped.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    What about scanning it at very high pixels and resolution?? I had an image that I couldn't see who all was in it, so I scanned it to something outrageous amd that helped.
    How do I scan a digital image? I don't have hard copy of this notice - if I did, I could read it directly. Or do you mean I should print it out (the print-out will be illegible of course) and then try to scan it in again?
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    How do I scan a digital image? I don't have hard copy of this notice - if I did, I could read it directly. Or do you mean I should print it out (the print-out will be illegible of course) and then try to scan it in again?
    D'oh!
    I didn't notice that you had said digital image. If it's too illegible in digital format, scanning it will not help at all. Sorry for the confusion.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    hazel, I blundered into this today. It may help you out.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent