Find the answer to your Linux question:
When doing scans, gimp does a lovely job of slightly enhancing the resulting scan from the menu: tools->color tools->levels and then pressing the 'auto' button. Does anyone know an ImageMagick ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

ImageMagick equivalent to gimp tools->color tools->levels->auto

When doing scans, gimp does a lovely job of slightly enhancing the resulting scan from the menu: tools->color tools->levels and then pressing the 'auto' button.

Does anyone know an ImageMagick equivalent for this that I can include in the scan script I already use, without having to fire up gimp on each scan?

Even with the gimp source, I'm can't seem to figure out exactly what it's doing when you hit the 'auto' button.

Just Joined!
    It seems to do the same thing as ImageMagick's -normalize, but on each channel separately. You can do that with ImageMagick by adding something like -channel All, but do you really want to do this? It causes a color shift that looks really bad in some images. Only using -normalize seems better to me.

Linux User
    Cool. I'll play with that, thank you.

Also, my scanner is ancient, so that may be an issue too. It takes a while to warm up, and the first scan always looks bad and goes to the bit bucket right away.