Find the answer to your Linux question:
Holy-shmoley, the tumbleweeds are blowing through linux-forums-graphic-arts-digital-imaging aren't they? You'd think there would be more action here. Anyway, I've been working on a silly game based upon an ancient video ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Having fun with SDL and game programming.

Holy-shmoley, the tumbleweeds are blowing through linux-forums-graphic-arts-digital-imaging aren't they? You'd think there would be more action here.

Anyway, I've been working on a silly game based upon an ancient video game from 1982. Valadon Entertainment's Bagman. I've totally used dosbox to grab screenshots of this game to steal the bad-ass old graphics. 16 color stuff. This stuff is so old I don't feel like I'm doing anything wrong. I suppose the stuff is copyrighted, but this is 32 years later. Hmm. I'm thinking no one is going to complain.

It's called gridgame-0.1, totally proto-code. When it runs, you can edit the grid, or hit 'p' and it starts to play. You're the bagman, trying to collect the moneybags, and there's cops who try to getcha. Other hazards too.

Anyway, it's png heavy, and I doubt that I can upload it here. Therefore the tumbleweeds blowing through this forum.
    gridgame-0.1.tar.bz2 - Your file of 1.33 MB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 976.6 KB for this filetype.
    There ya go.

Linux Engineer
    Visions of programming an IBM AT with a hercules graphics card in graphics mode are flashing through my mind in 16 glorious colors!

Linux User
    Boo yah!

IBM AT? That's all fancy-shmancy. Did that come with a 4MB HD the size of a loaf of bread?

How about Commodore-64 with their funny palettes and super slow floppies. I have 2 reds! Red, and pink-red! 2 whole browns! Light and dark! Woo hoo. I'm on the cutting edge of hyper tech!

Linux Engineer
    I worked for a company that wrote software for IBM - we go the AT's before HDs were available. Fortunately most machines had two 5.25 floppies cause when I wasn't busy crashing the OS (CP/M) I was cursing yet another failed floppy. The good ol' days! It beat working on the mainframes though. Type a command and wait for my turn to send down the tie line to find out I'd typed it wrong!

I loved all the micro-computers coming out in those days!

Linux User
    Ooh. The good ol' days. Michigan Terminal Systems running the university mainframe. I can't remember the word processor they used, but if you made a mistake, it'd pump out 2400 pages of stuff with 1 word on every page. That's just a resume. Then you'd go pick it up at the printing rooms, boxes of paper, god it was wasteful. Go try again, and screw up again. No WYSIWYG in those days. Good paper too. What a shame. There wasn't even recycling in those days. Straight in the garbage, or, I used the backsides for notepaper for years. Finally ran out of it about 10 years ago.

Linux User
    A-ha! I remembered it! The word processor was called Textform, and it was like programming some silly language like scheme or something. All brackets and other weirdnesses. Nobody could do it right. Well, eventually you got it right, but not until you had wasted 1000's of pages of good paper. 1987 or 1988 I'm thinking.