Find the answer to your Linux question:
At least six years ago, I was able to create themes for a Sony phone interface using a Windows program, and after searching the internet and the software servers, I've ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How can I make my images into themes for Xfce?

At least six years ago, I was able to create themes for a Sony phone interface using a Windows program, and after searching the internet and the software servers, I've seen nothing of the sort for Xfce Linux (Linux Mint, It's killing me not having a means to make my own themes out of images I've made in GIMP, but people are obviously doing this somehow or another, the question is how. Is there a program for this, or do I need to hand-code the Xfce themes? How and where can I get started?

I'm running Xfce in Linux Mint. Nobody's helping me with this over on the LM site (?????), so if you can help it would be most appreciated.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    OK, first a really silly question. Do you mean desktop background or the window decorations and panels etc?

If you mean the later, I don't know if there is specific tool to create them. Have a look in /usr/share/themes/ which is where the system wide themes go and you can see what's needed. You can also put themes in ~/.themes but only you will be able to use them.
    Last edited by elija; 05-03-2014 at 11:25 PM.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Linux User
    I don't use xfce, but howto:install_new_themes [Xfce Wiki] has some decent themes. They look pretty standard. A bunch of xpms and an rc file to go with them.

Gimp will do xpm, but you need the right libXpm to export . There was security issues with many of the libXpms that are out there, and the one that I finally got to work was an old one, libXpm-3.5.7.tar.gz, dated about Sep 2007. Using the libXpm that came with my system, I could not save xpms from gimp.