Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Natron - open source compositing software

Check this out:

https://natron.inria.fr/

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Thanks for the link. I'm not dealing with this stuff now, but knowing about it can be helpful for others.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Yes, I'd really want some FUNDING to get through to them, so that they don't die! It's very important that FOSS projects like these survive.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by resetreset View Post
    Yes, I'd really want some FUNDING to get through to them, so that they don't die! It's very important that FOSS projects like these survive.
    Agreed! Some of these really complex projects that "compete" directly with major proprietary systems will charge for professional support to help fund the project. I don't know if Natron does or not. Just look at Red Hat - free, clonable software (CentOS, Scientific Linux, Oracle Linux, Fedora, et al), yet with their support subscription model, they rake in over a billion $ US per year!

As far as that is concerned, I've often wondered what goes on, like...... - what questions could a company that uses RHEL, say, have, that they can't Google, or find the answers for, in a forum like this one.....? What exactly IS it that's making Redhat that kind of money?

... and second question is, how much of that money does Redhat give back to the hackers, programmers, etc. etc. ...... - the very people that made it possible in the 1st place?

Red Hat is a major contributor (in $$ and personnel) to many open source projects. They give a LOT back to the community. As for support, many companies don't have people who can manage their systems at a fundamental level, and so require support to deal with the unexpected. This is available from Red Hat on a 24x365 basis. Don't knock it - if there was no need there would be no income for Red Hat. I have worked for organizations that required that support when starting out, and then as their staff got up to speed on administering and maintaining these systems, they switched to CentOS over time. When you are getting started with Linux, having that sort of support can be invaluable, and worth the price of admission.

Linux Guru
    RedHat is a great model for how foss can succeed. The company has worked long and hard to get where they are.

-->
    That's excellent to hear! But that doesn't mean there shouldn't be many many MORE Redhats out there.

If the no. of distros on Distrowatch is any indication, a lot of people are trying to make sure there are. I want ALL of these to succeed, so that Linux surges ahead of the "2% desktop market share" that we keep hearing about.

Also, of course, it means that Natron will never die! Hope so......