Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How to block out rectangle with imagemagick?

Howdy:

I've got some animated gif files in which I want to black out rectangular regions. Can't do it with gimp as I get some weird error message.

I looked up imagemagick's convert function and it looks like that would do the job. However I just don't understand the usage of the geometry values.

Linux Guru
    They're pretty straight forward. For instance, the command below will create a white image sized 400 pixels wide by 600 pixels high and draw a rectangle from the 10,10 pixel location (from upper left) with a lower right corner 200,300. Try it and see.

Code:
    convert -size 400x600 xc:white -fill black -stroke black -draw "rectangle 10,10 200,300" rect.gif

Thank you, gregm, your example will definitely kick start me.

It looks as if you're creating the rect.gif file from scratch. Will your same technique apply if I wanted to modify an existing gif, say rect0.gif, inserting the blacked out region, and producing rect.gif?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Yes but the first argument to convert should be the file you wish to modify. Below I first create a white image and then edit it to create an image with the rectangle. In the end there are two images, one blank and one with a black rectangle.

[code]
    convert -size 400x600 xc:white rect.gif
    convert rect.gif -fill black -stroke black -draw "rectangle 10,10 200,300" new_rect.gif
    [code]

Thanks again, gregm, that works great.

-->
    agree your work is impressive