Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was hoping someone here could help me with this one.. My SuSE 9.3 install came with version 2.36 of Blender. The thing is, if I try to start it, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Can't run Blender

I was hoping someone here could help me with this one..

My SuSE 9.3 install came with version 2.36 of Blender. The thing is, if I try to start it, the session locks up, and the only way out is to kill it or reboot. The program starts, and the mouse moves the cursor, but the app won' t respond at all.

I didn't even know what Blender was until I let my daughter loose on my Linux install and she tried it. (She felt bad for locking up the machine.)

After I looked into it, I REALLY want to get this running on my box. I tried 2.37a, and it does the same thing. I hate to say it, but I downloaded it for XP, and it works like a champ. I really like the software, please don't make me boot into a Windows partition to use it!!!

I don't think its a hardware issue
    3.4 Ghz Pentium IV Prescott
    NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT
    4 Gb of DDR Memory

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

JoeB, I ran into a guy on another forum a while back that ran Blender from Linux successfully. He used to hang out on the Blender Forums. There might be someone there also running from Linux who could help. Sorry I couldn't help more...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Thank You Dapper Dan...that is a forum I hadn't seen yet...

If I have any luck, I'll post it here

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Still working on this one, some posts I saw had me checking my 3D using SuSE's 3Ddiag tools - everything there seems to check out. Also recommended running TuxRacer to see if rendering is correct. Graphics there seemed fine, although I don't think Tux liked me busting his head into the trees every time. On the way by I found Foobillard, which I used to test OpenGL. Is that game awesome, or am I just easy to please?

Anyway I think now that I have to compile Blender from source, which is failing halfway thru, so I have that to look into...

TBC....

Well this one has about run its course...

I was not able to compile Blender using Make, because of an error referring to a dependency to OpenAL. I think the problem is in that config. I saw this same problem posted by others as well.

I WAS able to get a clean compile using SCONS, which was very cool except.... the app still won't run with out locking up my box

So I'll just have to boot to Windows to run this app. However, I think this one is worth it

Sorry to hear it isn't going well. Did you contact the folks who are in charge of Blender for Linux? They might be unaware of the problem since others seem to be experiencing it as well.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    I run blender 2.37 just fine on my mandrake 10.0 system. I have to run it on another desktop because it doesn't exit fullscreen mode...it stays in it...but whatever.

Just go to http://blender3d.org/ and download the dynamic linux blender 2.37...its more up-to-date than 2.36 anyways...2.36 was SO a few months ago...like...please .

heh

SpaceSquad wrote:
    2.36 was SO a few months ago...like...please Rolling Eyes .
    Thanks I'll give 2.37 another shot...

This is old but....

I downloaded Blender 2.40, but I grabbed the Static version instead of the dynamic version. Works like a champ on SuSE 9.3

I'm surprised nobody on the Blender forums busted me on that.

Oh well...It's very cool now

Just Joined!

Fix fullscreen lockout

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceSquad View Post
    I run blender 2.37 just fine on my mandrake 10.0 system. I have to run it on another desktop because it doesn't exit fullscreen mode...it stays in it...but whatever.

Just go to blender.org - Home and download the dynamic linux blender 2.37...its more up-to-date than 2.36 anyways...2.36 was SO a few months ago...like...please .

heh
    I use kde. I found out that if you right click on the blender icon in kmenu it gives the option to edit that item.

It gives a command line in which I added -w (don't forget the space). Viola! Now in a window in which I can close, max, and all that other stuff.

I ran across this site trying to fix this very thing. Hopefully someone can benefit from my entry.

Jimbo