Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
any1 know how to get cs2 working on linux w/o crossover office?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

any1 know how to get cs2 working on linux w/o crossover office?

I tried this once on PCLinuxOS but it asked me to install Mozilla ActiveX controls. I didn't take it further because I'm still waiting for an active internet connection at home. My ISP is taking its time.

Correction: I see you stated WITHOUT crossover...sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter73654
    My big question is, is The GIMP or Adobe Photoshop CS2 better?

I've heard personally from people who use either or. Now, I've used both and I really don't see the difference. What do you people think?
    When directly comparing the two products over all Photoshop CS2 offers more to the image artist. Though if you're doing image editing more suited for HDR film work then http://www.cinepaint.org/ is more beneficial than Gimp. Cinepaint may not be as pretty to look at as Gimp's GUI but it does offer support for 32-bit images and file formats such as OpenEXR used by highend production studio software.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Well, I think first I need to say something to techieMoe that

"I just find myself spending more time trying to figure out how to do things in GIMP when I can just do them in Photoshop."

is not neccesarily true. You could, if you really chose to do so write a script in Python, (which is VERY easy to learn) add it to the folder where it should go, and you could therefore "make it" do what you want.

To Dark_Knight, that although the prospect of doing video editing in the GIMP with a friendly format would be GREAT... although at that point I would Adobe Primere... which would be better overall...

Well, I think first I need to say something to techieMoe that

"I just find myself spending more time trying to figure out how to do things in GIMP when I can just do them in Photoshop."

is not neccesarily true. You could, if you really chose to do so write a script in Python, (which is VERY easy to learn) add it to the folder where it should go, and you could therefore "make it" do what you want.
    I don't gather the point you're trying to make here. If I were to spend the extra time learn a completely new programming language, learn how it interfaces with the GIMP, and write a script to do what I want it to do, I would still be spending incredible amounts of extra time to do something I can "just do" in Photoshop.

This isn't to say that I *couldn't* do what you suggest; I simply won't. I do not have the time or motivation to do it.
    Last edited by techieMoe; 10-10-2006 at 12:09 AM.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

To Dark_Knight, that although the prospect of doing video editing in the GIMP with a friendly format would be GREAT... although at that point I would Adobe Primere... which would be better overall...
    I think you misunderstood my post in regards to a better alternative to Gimp when placed in comparison to the features offered in Adobe's Photoshop CS2. Cinepaint, Gimp and Photoshop are intended for image editing, not NLE. While Cinepaint can handle HDR (High Dynamic Range) images it's not intended for true NLE work even though it does offer editing of film. Anyway, on Linux there is already a wide variety of NLE (Non-Linear Editing) software available both commercial and open source. As for your comment about Adobe's Premiere as I understand it is neither supported on Linux and does not run on Wine.

Just Joined!
    To techiMoe, tu chè. I guess you're right anyway. Still, if you are even the slightest bit interested in programming it's very easy to learn...

To Dark_Knight, I guess I need to catch up on formats...

I've used Photoshop and The GIMP and find that for casual editing of images that will be posted to the web or professional looking images to hang on the wall Gimp will do just fine.

I always think it is funny that people will spend hundreds of dollars/euros for photoediting software that will be more of a "status symbol"(of their stupidity) than what they will actually use it for.

I have purchased books that help promote opensource software and the most recent was titled "Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional" by Akkana Peck also a few years ago "Grokking the GIMP" by Carey Bunks.

If you want to be proficient at photo-editing you will have to spend time reading and experimenting,following tutorials and it all takes time whether you use Photoshop or the Gimp or any other software.

You can't beat the price of the GIMP and yes I have paid for Photoshop<insert stupid icon>but find myself using the GIMP/Linux more than Photoshop/Windows.

Just Joined!
    Well, now I've changed my mind somewhat on this topic. Although I like the GIMP *way* better... I need some features on photoshop like resizable brushes and little, but important stuff like that.... I wish the GIMP would do something like that....

Well, now I've changed my mind somewhat on this topic. Although I like the GIMP *way* better... I need some features on photoshop like resizable brushes and little, but important stuff like that.... I wish the GIMP would do something like that....
    Yeah you can't change the size of brushes in the GIMP and it really wouldn't be worth your time to use anyway because Photoshop is way better. Maybe you should give Tux Paint a try.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast