Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
My big question is, is The GIMP or Adobe Photoshop CS2 better? I've heard personally from people who use either or. Now, I've used both and I really don't see ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Adobe Photoshop or The Gimp?

My big question is, is The GIMP or Adobe Photoshop CS2 better?

I've heard personally from people who use either or. Now, I've used both and I really don't see the difference. What do you people think?

Just like Linux distributions, we can't tell you what you'll think is "better". If you've tried both, why do you need our opinion? Use whichever you like.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Photoshop

Difference? I'll tell you the difference! Photoshop has much more features and it's easier to use. If you bought photoshop use it. Don't waste your money! Or did you not buy it?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Some people like the GIMP, but I think its one of the worst opensource apps out there. I really hate the interface and I think it lacks many features that are in Photoshop. Anyway the best way to find out which is the best for you is to try them both and stick with the one you like.

Just Joined!
    Well, it's not like I'm asking what you think I should use. It's more of way to figure out the difference between the two. I like The GIMP. It has just as many features as photoshop has, but maybe I said the wrong thing. I just wondered what you people thought about it.

Just Joined!
    Plus I like hearing opinions.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter73654
    Well, it's not like I'm asking what you think I should use. It's more of way to figure out the difference between the two. I like The GIMP. It has just as many features as photoshop has, but maybe I said the wrong thing. I just wondered what you people thought about it.
    Oh. Well in that case, I've used both, and for what I do (mostly just webcomic stuff and the occasional photo touchup) Photoshop just works the way I think a program like that should work. Gimp has all the features I need, but they aren't presented in a way that makes sense to me, nor do they behave the way I expect them to. I just find myself spending more time trying to figure out how to do things in GIMP when I can just do them in Photoshop. But to each their own.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    I don't think you can compare Gimp to CS2 though. It isn't a fair comparison IMO. I've just acquired a copy of CS2 and spend 3 weeks with a book about it, I must say it is a very complicate piece of software with enormous capability. Unfortunately it forced me to reload Win2000 again....

Just Joined!
    I find Photoshop CS2 to be, in terms of functionality and usability, a much better application than The GIMP.

My opinion slightly biased as I've been using Photoshop for a far longer time (since I was like 8 ), but I find that its layout makes more sense than GIMP's. Photoshop is also slightly more powerful (though both have features the other lacks). GIMP is a great program, but I find its layout to be rather impractical, and its learning curve is steep compared to that of Photoshop.

However, in terms of features versus money, GIMP wins hands down. Albeit hard to use, it is completely free in every sense of the word, which cannot be said for photoshop.

In Photoshop, finding a feature is more straightforward than in GIMP; APS lists its functions a format that makes more sense to me. If you want to edit an image quickly, my vote's for photoshop. But if you want a free application that's just as powerful, go with GIMP.

If you're thinking of which to install, I would tell you to get both. GIMP has some things that photoshop doesn't, and photoshop has some things GIMP lacks. The complement one another to create a very powerful suite; photoshop with its ease of use, and GIMP with huge array of power and freedom.

Linux Newbie
    I'd say Photoshop has the advantage here. Being proficient with Photoshop can earn you better income than being proficient with Gimp, I think ..

PS is the industry standard.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast