Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I'm a Newbie to Blender and am having some trouble getting it to run correctly in SUSE10.1. I installed Blender and ran it and everything seemed to be fine. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Exclamation Blender not working right

Hey,

I'm a Newbie to Blender and am having some trouble getting it to run correctly in SUSE10.1.

I installed Blender and ran it and everything seemed to be fine. At first. However when I tried to move an object in the scene by dragging on one of the directional arrows I got a wierd display of colored triangles. If I went into the orthographic view the triangles stuck around and I had to kill the program but if I viewed through the camera the triangles just flashed on and off when I dragged.

Any ideas what it might be? Is there a linux patch I can get?

Please help!

It seems you have problems with your 3D driver? Which video card do you have? Which drivers are you using?
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

I have an ATI card but I can't seem to get any drivers working with it. If that's the problem could you direct me to a HOWTO or somthin'?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Which drivers have you tried, have you tried DRI?
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Quote Originally Posted by cheezit
    I have an ATI card but I can't seem to get any drivers working with it. If that's the problem could you direct me to a HOWTO or somthin'?
    From experience ATI drivers have always been buggy on Linux distributions when using highend software for modeling, animation, paint, etc. It really isn't the GPU but ATI with their lack of support for the Linux community.

Anyway, if you can't afford to switch to NVIDIA then try going over the ATI.com driver installation steps again to see if you missed something. Ensure you are selecting the appropriate driver for your graphics card (ie: FireGL or Radeon). Check YAST/Zenworks to see if there is a listing for auto-install of an ATI graphics driver. Reason for asking this is that on SLED (SUSE Linux Enterprise Linux) it's auto-installed via Zenworks and configured during the installation of the OS. Later it's available for Plug & Play (auto-detect/configure) if graphics cards are changed in the LAN.