Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All. Not sure how to install blender, thought there might be someone here who has used it a few times and might be able to help. I have blender ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Blender

Hi All. Not sure how to install blender, thought there might be someone here who has used it a few times and might be able to help. I have blender extracted to the /usr/local/src directory. It's seems to be just an executable, but when I try to open it nothing happens, and I have yet to find anything describing the exact installation stpes.

Is someone willing and able to advise me?

Quote Originally Posted by RandomUsr
    Hi All. Not sure how to install blender, thought there might be someone here who has used it a few times and might be able to help. I have blender extracted to the /usr/local/src directory. It's seems to be just an executable, but when I try to open it nothing happens, and I have yet to find anything describing the exact installation stpes.

Is someone willing and able to advise me?
    which package you downloaded? the dynamic one or the static one?

The dynamic one require your distro to have all the libraries installed, while the static one have the library packaged into the software so it don't depend on wether any library is missing or not on your distro. So if you're usign the dynamic one, make sure you have all the libraries installed.

If you're thinking of building from source, not sure, since I never done it. I just use the dynamic binary. But I suppose it's the same procedure as compiling other softwares.

You don't need to extract it to /usr/local/src. I extract mine at my home folder.

But better yet, you better use the package targeted to your distro. Ubuntu have it. Not sure for others.

Just Joined!

Exclamation

I actuall figured it out, it was mostly user error. However, i think it's not working on another version of linux. What's the command to search for installed binaries, IE the ones for a particular software package?

If you're looking for a binary in your $PATH, then use "whereis [name of binary]".
    I have sold my soul to the penguin