Find the answer to your Linux question:
I once read about a tool in the gimp that allowed one to remove an area of an object and have the gimp attempt to fill in the blank area ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Gimp fill in tool\filter

I once read about a tool in the gimp that allowed one to remove an area of an object and have the gimp attempt to fill in the blank area with something that resembled the rest of the object.

So, if I had a picture of a lock with some text on it, and I removed the text, I could just go to the tool in question, and it would fill in the white areas.

Any idea of what tool this is? I have forgotten.

Thanks!

Just Joined!
    I know that in Photoshop, there's a healing brush.

For example, if you have an image of some grass, but with someone standing there, and you want to remove the person, then you use the healing brush.
    You assign an area of the image to the brush, then use that to "heal" the area.

The closest thing in The GIMP, is the clone tool.
    You can clone areas of an image over the top of the thing in question.
    Instead of removing part and replacing it, it overwrites the part with another part.

The difference between the two is that the "healing" will run an algorithm to blend the area better.

Other than that, there's the "Fill with Pattern" option, which will fill a selected area with a pattern of your choice. The choice of patterns is limited, so you won't get an exact match, but those are the only two I know of. But I'm new to the Gimp...

Quote Originally Posted by falcifer
    I know that in Photoshop, there's a healing brush.

For example, if you have an image of some grass, but with someone standing there, and you want to remove the person, then you use the healing brush.
    You assign an area of the image to the brush, then use that to "heal" the area.

The closest thing in The GIMP, is the clone tool.
    You can clone areas of an image over the top of the thing in question.
    Instead of removing part and replacing it, it overwrites the part with another part.

The difference between the two is that the "healing" will run an algorithm to blend the area better.

Other than that, there's the "Fill with Pattern" option, which will fill a selected area with a pattern of your choice. The choice of patterns is limited, so you won't get an exact match, but those are the only two I know of. But I'm new to the Gimp...
    I prefer clone rather than healing. Healing brush try to match the target color, but most of the time it screws the cloning. When using either both PS or GIMP, I prefer clone.

If you just want to fill an area with solid color, drag a marquee then use fill with bg/fg.