Find the answer to your Linux question:
will picasa's linux version install the WINE package on the operating system, or do I need to install the WINE package separately? also, if it does install the WINE package, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

picasa and WINE in linux

will picasa's linux version install the WINE package on the operating system, or do I need to install the WINE package separately?

also, if it does install the WINE package, will it work with other Windows programs as well?

As far as I know, you don't have to do anything special to install the Linux version of Picasa. The WINE that it uses is self-contained and designed to work only with Picasa.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

That confuses me about Google.....Why not use something like GTK or the like so you don't have to use wine....Really? Hmm......Maybe they just weren't thinking at the time...

That confuses me about Google.....Why not use something like GTK or the like so you don't have to use wine....Really? Hmm......Maybe they just weren't thinking at the time...
    It's easier to recompile Picasa against libwine and adding some WINE patches than porting the whole app to GTK+ or Qt
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

I meant actually planning out the program, and deciding if it was going to be cross-platform to begin with instead of changing their mind after creating it for Windows.

i've actually installed it now. It works just as well as on Windows, and personally, I think it's not a bad idea. It would be much easier to program one version, and add a few wine patches, then have to make separate versions for different platforms.

I wish they did that with more commercial stuff. Oh well, I still love linux

I meant actually planning out the program, and deciding if it was going to be cross-platform to begin with instead of changing their mind after creating it for Windows
    Google didn't develop Picasa, they bought it from a software company (I don't remember the name) that originally produced it for Windows
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Pablo
    Google didn't develop Picasa, they bought it from a software company (I don't remember the name) that originally produced it for Windows
    Oh! "I see", said the blind man to his deaf monkey.

That makes sense then.