I recently bought a digital picture frame. It is not a terrible product, but it came with minimal documentation. I loaded a card with some files and have been trying to figure it out.

For image orientation, I found that for some files, if I rotate them and then shut off the frame and turn it on again, the frame will display some of them with the new orientation, but other images lose the orientation information and have to be rotated again. As far as I can tell so far, the images that stay "rotated" are files that have EXIF data fields. So I think that the frame's firmware is re-writing the EXIF fields if they exist.

So what I need is software that can create EXIF fields for JPEG files that do not already have them. So far, I have not seen this ability in GIMP. I also tried F-Spot, and although it seems to be able to edit existing EXIF fields, it cannot create them in files that do not already have them.

Is there a program that can create EXIF fields for JPEGs that do not already have them either in Linux or Windows?