Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've closed the tools control panel on the main window, and I don't know how to have it back... I've tryed to drag control windows into it, but it has ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

[GIMP] "newest"bie question ever... missing controls on main window

I've closed the tools control panel on the main window, and I don't know how to have it back...

I've tryed to drag control windows into it, but it has no effect... it also hasn't a context menu when I click on it with the right button...

Anyone knows what to do?

oz
    forum.guy
    It's been awhile since I've used Gimp so I can't remember how to fix, but here's the user manual that might have some info on a fix:

GNU Image Manipulation Program
    oz

Linux Newbie
    Thanks!

It was pretty much close to what I was trying to do, but I have to drag the dialog right on that very specific "embossed" line right below the tool selection menu... actually it shows a "tool tip" saying "you can drop dockable dialogs here" if you let the mouse cursor over there...

And just in case somoene stops by with the same problem, the default dialog there isn't simply the dialog of a given tool, changing automatically to the current tool, but actually a dialog found in File → Dialogs → Tool Options. This is the one that changes according with the current tool; if one drops the brush dialog there it would remain there until closed, even after one change's the current tool.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Your questions already been answered by someone else it seems but don't worry. That is a big problem with Gimp, it can be very confusing when learning how to use it and you will often find you have misplaced something or closed it and have trouble finding it again.
    You can always find every option in gimp in the drop down tabs (such as file tools dialogs etc). It is a lot of hunting but there are things to bring the boxes back up. And if you become totally at loss just close the program and reopen it. Plenty of FAQ's around on where to find things and plenty of people here to help until you learn your way around it.

It's development - new distros sometimes ship with betas (I just upgraded to Ubuntu Gusty and I got a release candidate). Get the newest stable release and you should be good.

Linux Newbie

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by arderydd View Post
    Your questions already been answered by someone else it seems but don't worry. That is a big problem with Gimp, it can be very confusing when learning how to use it and you will often find you have misplaced something or closed it and have trouble finding it again.
    You can always find every option in gimp in the drop down tabs (such as file tools dialogs etc). It is a lot of hunting but there are things to bring the boxes back up. And if you become totally at loss just close the program and reopen it. Plenty of FAQ's around on where to find things and plenty of people here to help until you learn your way around it.
    I recall trying to close the program and reopen, but didn't work. It's one of those things the program will "remember" the next time, which is actually good, you can customize it as you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by the dsc View Post
    I recall trying to close the program and reopen, but didn't work. It's one of those things the program will "remember" the next time, which is actually good, you can customize it as you prefer.
    I find that option good/bad. Once you know where to find everything via the drop down tabs its fine, but when your learning the program its real frustrating when you cant work out how to bring the window back