Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi to all, I have Au1200 development board in that i am trying to access PCMCIA card(SanDisk) in linux-2.6.11 kernel and i even ported the card managers and card control ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

PCMCIA PCCARD(Memory card)

hi to all,
    I have Au1200 development board in that i am trying to access PCMCIA card(SanDisk) in linux-2.6.11 kernel and i even ported the card managers and card control utilities but i am unable to access the card could anyone help me in properly configuring the PCMCIA card.Moreover when check /proc/devices the pcmcia is alloted under char devices and how can i mount it.please send me suggestions.

Waiting for valuable suggestions.
    Thank you

With Regards
    Umesh

Just Joined!
    you 'mount' the block devices.
    PCMCIA forms the PCI group of devices. You need ioctl and open calls to access them.

Just Joined!
    i configured the PC CARD as follows
    ────────────────────────────────────────────────── ───────────────────────────────────┐ │
    │ │ <*> PCCard (PCMCIA/CardBus) support │ │
    │ │ [ ] Enable PCCARD debugging │ │
    │ │ <*> 16-bit PCMCIA support │ │
    │ │ --- PC-card bridges │ │
    │ │ < > Databook TCIC host bridge support │ │
    │ │ <*> Au1x00 pcmcia support

│ │

<*> ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support │ │
    │ │ <*> Enhanced IDE/MFM/RLL disk/cdrom/tape/floppy support │ │
    │ │ --- Please see Documentation/ide.txt for help/info on IDE drives │ │
    │ │ [ ] Support for SATA (deprecated; conflicts with libata SATA driver) │ │
    │ │ <*> Include IDE/ATA-2 DISK support │ │
    │ │ [ ] Use multi-mode by default │ │
    │ │ <M> PCMCIA IDE support │ │
    │ │ < > Include IDE/ATAPI CDROM support │ │
    │ │ < > Include IDE/ATAPI TAPE support (EXPERIMENTAL) │ │
    │ │ < > Include IDE/ATAPI FLOPPY support │ │
    │ │ < > SCSI emulation support │ │
    │ │ [ ] IDE Taskfile Access │ │
    │ │ --- IDE chipset support/bugfixes │ │
    │ │ <*> generic/default IDE chipset support

and i want to know how to compile the pcmcia utils and the PCCARD is registered under character devices , major devices as 254.How to mount it and access the card.waiting for your valuable suggestions.thank you

Regards
    Umesh

Just Joined!
    okay
    this looks like we need SCSI emulation on PCMCIA to understand the storage devices on PCMCIA
    I have not worked on this before but are you sure that SCSI emulation for block devices is enabled. ( to check this just check if you are able to mount any usb storage device).

Just Joined!
    Hi,
    Even usb mass storage device registers as character device and i dont find any SCSI emulation support in the configuration.Can you brief me please. One more clarification is required whenever linux kernel is compiled under lib/ modules folder will be created but for me it s not there,since when i run cardmgr utility it looks for /lib/modules/<kernel version> and also i need proper procedure for pcmcia utils compilation waiting for your valuable reply.thank you

Regards
    Umesh

Just Joined!
    1. installing kernel involves 2 steps
    a) copying bzImage into the bootloader (lilo/grub)
    b) runing make modules_install to create /lib/modules/<kernel>/...
    Only then the kernel installation is complete
    However step 'b' is not necessary if you do not enable module support in
    kernel

2. If USB is detected as char device then there is basic issue with mass storage.
    I suggest you fix the kernel issues and boot into the new kernel (do a depmod -a ) and then check if things work fine with the USB storage afterwhich you can go to the PCMCIA mass storage.

Just Joined!
    hi,
    my usb storage device is mounted and works well, and when i run pcmcia utils it responds but when i try to mount the device it couldnt and when i run cardmgr output as follows
    sh-3.00# cardmgr
    cardmgr[774]: watching 2 sockets
    cardmgr[774]: could not adjust resource: IO ports 0xc00-0: Function not implemented
    cardmgr[774]: could not adjust resource: IO ports 0x800-0: Function not implemented
    cardmgr[774]: could not adjust resource: IO ports 0x100-0: Function not implemented
    cardmgr[774]: could not adjust resource: memory 0xc0000-0xfffff: Function not implemented
    cardmgr[774]: could not adjust resource: memory 0x60000000-0x60ffffff: Function not implemented
    cardmgr[774]: could not adjust resource: memory 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff: Function not implemented
    cardmgr[774]: could not adjust resource: IO ports 0xa00-0: Function not implemented
    sh-3.00# 2.6. kernels use pcmciamtd instead of memory_cs.c and do not require special
    MTD handling any more

PCMCIA registers as char device any support in kernel configuration is required to mount it.waiting for your reply

Regards
    Umesh