Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I need a better computer. The last time I looked at hardware compatibility there were all sorts of problems: sata wasn't supported; jmicron pata controllers were problematic; agp was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

new build advice please

Hi,

I need a better computer. The last time I looked at hardware compatibility there were all sorts of problems: sata wasn't supported; jmicron pata controllers were problematic; agp was the norm; memory was changing in some way, etc, etc.

I don't need anything cutting edge and would like some advice on a mid range system I'll put together myself. I'll use the case I have so I'll need powersupply, cpu, memory, mobo and graphics card. I have Broadband with a D-Link wired router which I must keep.

I suppose I ought to go for AM2 or Core 2 duo to give myself some upgrade room in the future.
    I've no preference for Intel over AMD and suspect the latter will be the better price/value point for what I want.

If anyone has any recommendations, I'd be grateful.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

I have to unexpectedly go away for two weeks now so, if anyone does reply with advice, please don't think that I'm being ungrateful with my thanks.

Ashtree