Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was searching for some info on how to start a computer remotely today and found out about etherwake . I have installed it and configured it on my laptop. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Wake on LAN is not waking anything!

I was searching for some info on how to start a computer remotely today and found out about etherwake. I have installed it and configured it on my laptop.

However when i type etherwake xx:xx:xx:xx:xx it does not wake the other computer on the network.

I'm curious if anyone knows of a list of Wake on Lan (WOL) NIC or knows if a Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet would be compatible with WOL. It is built into the board. It is not in a PCI slot. The RJ-45 is by USB ports and other ports that are all on one interface. There is not light on the NIC but there was the options in the BIOS to set up the computer for WOL. I'm not finding much on Google.

Running Linux Since 2001
    Registered Linux User #430868 - Since 91206

Just Joined!
    Posting Error

Just Joined!
    Right, for whatever reason I can't post here. It keeps coming up with an error that the posting doesn't exist or some file can't be found

Right, a quick look on the web revealed a wiki page. Etherwake - Wiki

On the other machine, the remote one? Have you enabled WOL in the BIOS? And you've got the correct MAC address?

If I read that correct you need to enter the following:
    etherwake -i eth0 00:11:22:33:44:55

Also, you might want to look at this resource too: Wake On Lan Notes - Waikato Linux Users Group