Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I have an Abit NF7-S motherboard, and am having one hell of a time trying to get the nforce2 drivers installed. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I have an Abit NF7-S motherboard, and am having one hell of a time trying to get the nforce2 drivers installed.

I am installing on Slackware 9.1, and using the tar. I unpacked it, did the make, and the make install. Does nothing. Ethernet adapter still not detected, and cant get on the net. So i tried doing insmod on nvnet.o in the lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net directory, and it says loading the module will taint the kernel, so it says it loads the module but with warnings.

When i do lsmod, it shows the nvnet module, but says unused. I have no problems with make or make install, no errors i mean, but just nothing happens.

Ive also read about modifying /etc/modules.conf to show the alias, but i have no clue how to do that.

Any help is greatly appreciated, but please keep in mind im a Slack-newbie...so go easy on me

Quote Originally Posted by SlackerWannabe
    Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I have an Abit NF7-S motherboard, and am having one hell of a time trying to get the nforce2 drivers installed.

I am installing on Slackware 9.1, and using the tar. I unpacked it, did the make, and the make install. Does nothing. Ethernet adapter still not detected, and cant get on the net. So i tried doing insmod on nvnet.o in the lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net directory, and it says loading the module will taint the kernel, so it says it loads the module but with warnings.

When i do lsmod, it shows the nvnet module, but says unused. I have no problems with make or make install, no errors i mean, but just nothing happens.

Ive also read about modifying /etc/modules.conf to show the alias, but i have no clue how to do that.

Any help is greatly appreciated, but please keep in mind im a Slack-newbie...so go easy on me
    Here is a snip from my modules.conf
    Code:
    alias usb-controller usb-uhci
    alias usb-controller1 ehci-hcd
    alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
    alias eth0 sk98lin
    Take a look in the /etc dir and type: more modules.conf
    Use a tekst editor like VI, Joe, Pico to edit it
    To enable the NForce2 Module to load for your network it would be like:
    alias eth0 <module name>

---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Linux Engineer
    slackerwannabe, you need to set up the networking with the ifconfig command. when you have loaded the correct modules test that the ethernet card is working with the "ifconfig eth0" command. If you get any output then it is working perfectly and the network can now be set up.

Just Joined!
    Well i set up the alias (EDIT: alias eth0 nvnet) and did ifconfig as well. Then i did netconfig...with dhcp, and it didnt work, then i set it up statically, and it still didnt work.

I rebooted, and it loaded the nvnet module, but said it will taint the kernel, and says it loaded it anyway with warnings.

Here was the ifconfig printout btw:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr: 00:50:8D:F7:664
    inet addr: 192.168.1.100 Bcast: 192.168.1.255 Mask: 255.255.255.0
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU: 1500 Metric: 1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    Interrupt:10 Base address:0x7000

Hope this gets resolved soon...then i can get help from my linux comp on the net...and not this old crappy win98 box :P

What kernel version are you running and with what kernel source version did you compile it ?
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Just Joined!
    Kernel 2.4.22, and scsi.s....needed that for my sata hd.

Just Joined!
    I have also read about the forcedeth module, and that seems to work for some people, but i need a little help installing it....apparently its a patch to the kernel? When i go to the site however (http://www.hailfinger.org/carldani/l...hes/forcedeth/) it comes in the form of a text file....could i get a little help applying this patch please?
    (Slackware 9.1, Kernel 2.4.22)

Just Joined!
    I really need help with this...Ive tried looking on the net for guides and stuff, and there is nothing, or when i find something, it assumes way too much previous knowledge.

Linux Guru
    <split this topic from another thread>

Does anyone have any ideas to help out SlackerWannabe?

Just Joined!
    haha...gotta love computer randomness.

So i turned on my computer today, late in the day, and what do i see? some dhcp messages, and a message that it obtained an ip!. The correct one too!. So now my network is functioning fine.

However, i still get the nvnet message...it says "nvnet module loaded with warnings".....should i be worried about this? or just go on with my business?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast