Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I was using only WinXp before, and all my data was on the extended partition, disk D. now I have linux and windows, and my data is still on that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

NTFS partition shared on LAN by Linux?

I was using only WinXp before, and all my data was on the extended partition, disk D.
    now I have linux and windows, and my data is still on that NTFS partition, that I can access in windows and linux. I'm planning to use linux mostly and I'm wondering if I can share files from that NTFS between my mates over LAN from linux?!? they are using Windows only. I have installed Samba, I can access their computers, I tried to share a folder from NTFS partition and it says
    error accessing 'file:///media/sda5/P%20stuff': Access denied

Do you have read/write access on the NTFS partition from the computer running samba?

Just Joined!
    i'm using Ubuntu 7.04 the Feisty..

Ok. How did you mount the NTFS partition? Can you write on it?

Just Joined!
    it looks like I don't have permission!

There's 2 possible causes for that:
    1. only root can write in those files, so just change the folder permissions and samba will be able to write on them too
    2. the package you are using to mount the NTFS partition can't write on NTFS partitions, in this case you need to get ntfs-3g and mount it that way.

Please and see if you can write the partition as root, if you can't i'll post instructions on how to install and use ntfs-3g.

Just Joined!
    right, I've just installed ntfs-3g and now I can copy files to my partition, but I can't creat folders doing the right click.. how do I change permissions?

I'm not exactly sure how, but you could try changing the permissions of the mount point when the partition is unmounted(you do "umount " and the location where it's mounted). You can change the folder permissions with "chmod", and the owner with "chown". Then mount the partition again.
    If that doesn't work i think there are some options in the mount command that change the permissions oh every folder in the partition, but i don't know how to use it.

PS: to mount those partitions every time you boot you must edit the fstab, details here: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method) - Ubuntu Forums

Just Joined!
    ok, I have full permissions to my partition now, I've changed my user permissions in System>Administration>Users and Groups.. I just added my user to the root group and now I can do everything on that partition!
    now i've shared the partition in System>Administration>Shared Folders, and on the Windows machine when I try to access the computer with Linux, it is asking me to enter User name and Password, I enter my linux user name and password, but it still asks me again... what to do now?

You're trying to take the easy way, it's nice but not as reliable. First, adding yourself to root is not wise. I don't think your user needs root permissions at all on that partition; samba will have permissions to write on that partition in either case.
    The best way to configure samba is to manually edit the configuration file, i've followed this tutorial(Samba Setup Guide Samba Configuration and Tutorial) and it works nicely(i still have users and passwords but i'm sure it can be disabled).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast