Find the answer to your Linux question:
GA-7n400 Pro2 (rev2.x) motherboard. Latest firmware. 2 Hard drives, 2 CD drives. Multiboot system which has Grub menu Xubuntu and a second level of windows boot menu (with Win2000, winXP) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy removed PCI device, lost ACPI, can't from CD-ROM, am I screwed?

GA-7n400 Pro2 (rev2.x) motherboard. Latest firmware. 2 Hard drives, 2 CD drives.
    Multiboot system which has Grub menu Xubuntu and a second level of windows boot menu (with Win2000, winXP) as one of the Grub entries.

Recently i removed a PCI card which I never use (Pixelview TV capture card piece of junk). Straight afterwards Windows 2000 and WinXP wont boot, both give a BSOD with "non acpi compatible system, reinstall with F7 options".

Basically it means I don't have ACPI anymore. I have a win98 install on here too, which I access via boot floppy, it also does not load. My Xubuntu OS does load fine, but looks like it is not using ACPI either.

Fine I thought, time to use some rescue CDs... but I find I can not boot from CDs at all, no matter what BIOS settings I use.

I've switched back to original BIOS version, cleared CMOS a lot, juggled all the settings I can find. Nothing seems to make any difference to the underlying ACPI issue.

I've also noticed that when i save BIOS settings to CMOS, the system does not restart. I have to manually reset. The settings ARE saved, but probably something is not being initialised properly.

Maybe the PCI pool is not being reset.
    Maybe I broke a chip on the mobo.
    Maybe there is some corruption somewhere that I can't reset.

I can reinstall linux or windows since i can't boot from a CD. I don't have 4 floppies around to do a NT boot set either :-/

I dunno. Is there a tool to mess with ACPI? Reset DMI tool? Reset PCI tool?
    Is there a way to boot a bootable CD-Rom from a Floppy? (most I have found so far are very hard to use)

Just Joined!
    Does the ESCD information in the BIOS change anything?

I think with debian you can create a boot image on a floppy then install over the network? I'm not really au fait with Linux much...

How many OS's have you actually got installed, and would that be making it more complicated??

Just Joined!
    No ESCD in my BIOS.
    I used Smart Boot Manager to make a floppy boot disc which allowed boot from CD via the floppy.
    I still don't have ACPI or CD booting, but with the Boot Floppy I can operate as per normal.