Find the answer to your Linux question:
I switched over to Knoppix from SLAX. Everything is working except for the mouse. I tried some stuff, but to no prevail. Scripts please. Sorry to bother you on prolly ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mouse wont work with Knoppix

I switched over to Knoppix from SLAX. Everything is working except for the mouse. I tried some stuff, but to no prevail.

Scripts please.

Sorry to bother you on prolly a small issue.

Linux Engineer
    I'm not sure what you mean by "scripts please" but i assume you want to get some help configureing your mouse? If that is the case then perhaps you should reply with some meaningfull information such as, mouse make, connector type, what you have tryed out to get it working so far, any error messages that might relate to the problem etc etc.

Just Joined!
    Well, my mous is a basic IBM PS/2 port.

Im not sure what to do to get it working. I just got Knoppix. Never used Linux before.

Linux Guru
    Try this first of all:
    Run "cat /dev/psaux", and move your mouse a bit. See if you get any garbage on the screen when doing that. Cancel cat with Ctrl+C.

Just Joined!
    Nuthin, so I set keyboard as mouse. the umm number/arrows.

It works fine. Once I get a new HDD, im gonna get Fedora Core 2.

Just Joined!

Knoppix : mouse doesn't work

Hi, I had this problem too, maybe this information help you. I just wrote
    knoppix wheel mouse when appears the mesage 'boot' in the boot sequence.
    But it depends on the port of the mouse. See the information below or
    go to this website , and it will help you:

http://csciapps.northeaststate.edu/k...t_details.html

When at the Knoppix-KDE-Desktop the mouse pointer cannot properly be moved by the mouse, then first verify that you have either a serial mouse, a PS/2 mouse or an IMPS/2 compatible USB mouse, as only these mouses are supported by Knoppix.

With PS/2 mouses two known phenomena can occur:

The mouse pointer freezes on the screen and does not react on mouse movements.
    Reboot Knoppix.
    When the Knoppix boot start screen comes up as depicted above, it shows below left "boot:". There you can enter boot parameters using your keyboard.
    Enter "knoppix pci=irqmask=0x0e98" and <ENTER>.

The mouse pointer jumps wildly on the screen
    Reboot Knoppix.
    When the Knoppix boot start screen comes up as depicted above, it shows below left "boot:". There you can enter boot parameters using your keyboard.
    Enter "expert" and press the <ENTER> key.
    You will be booted in "expert" mode. During booting some questions will be asked to you and you will be requested to enter some values.
    Answer all questions with "n" and <ENTER>. Press simply <ENTER> when the system asks you to enter a value.
    Only to the question "Do you want to (re)configure your graphics (X11) subsystem? "you will respond with "y" and <ENTER>.
    After an information window, that you close with <OK> (by pressing <ENTER>) the "Main menu" appears. Here you select (by using the arrow keys on your keyboard) "Configure mouse" and then "Edit PS/2 Mouse" followed by <ENTER>.
    The window "Select mouse protocol" appears. Select here a protocol that matches your mouse and give <ENTER> (in doubt try all protocols, one by one).
    Do not change anything in the windows "Mouse 3 buttons emulation" and "Select mouse device".
    Back in the "Main menu" select "Write XF86Config and quit" and then <OK>
    Acknowledge thereafter with <OK>, that the configuration is written in the file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

(For further information on these two phenomena have a look at the Knoppix-FAQ-EN.)
    When having troubles with IMPS/2-wheel mouses:

Reboot Knoppix.
    When the Knoppix boot start screen comes up as depicted above , it shows below left "boot:". There you can enter boot parameters using your keyboard.
    Enter "knoppix wheel mouse" and press <ENTER>.