Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi i have an ati 9600xt and i'm using the ati-drivers and fglrx autoloads When i startx it starts but within 45 secounds or if i move a window the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

ATI 9600xt X locks just after starting

Hi i have an ati 9600xt and i'm using the ati-drivers and fglrx autoloads
    When i startx it starts but within 45 secounds or if i move a window the whole box locks up ,however i can still move the mouse on the screen , and i cant ctrl alt backspace out of x and i cant ctrl alt f1,2,3,4,5.....into a console either the only way out is the power button. Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas on where to go from here?

i used the ati xf86config that produces XF86Config-4
    edit: within 45 secounds or :remove this from problem
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Linux Guru
    Well, I dunno the cause, but it seems to have with the window manager to do, just so that you know where to look. Ctrl+Alt+{BkSpc,F{1,2,3,...}} all go through the window manager as well.

That's why you can't do anything but moving the mouse.

well i neet to update the origional....it only hapens when i try to move a window or resize the window

I tried another wm fluxbox and i had the same problems but worse i think i will try a diffrent display manager.....dunno grabbing at straws here

Here is the xfree log http://iscavision.com/loft306/xlog and i saw nothing in it that should cause my problem

Ok, i ssh'd into the box and locked it up and checked the logs and there was nothing in them (the xfree log,tail /var/log/messages, and dmesg)at all, tomarrow i will try a strace and the like when i remember how...man's no biggie but when i did a 'ps aux' i did came up with '[X] <defunct>' however the background was still up and i tried to xinit again but it cameback that the xserver was still running or the pid was still in it's file

Next though this might just be the lack of a module or driver after i xinit but before i lock it up if i 'ctrl alt f1,2,3.....' to a console the screen is corrupted. but the commands still work

Now if this matters i can get the hardware accelaration with either agpgart setup
    and i am still on the 2.4.22 kernel if that is what is screwing me up
    i'll try to get a functional 2.6.7 or 8 on there tomarrow
    though it dose not crash in 3d i can play games.......just have to boot into a non agpgart kernel to do normal tasks
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org