Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have just being reading distro watch weekly and the artical about thinkpads being installed with ubuntu and the fact that hardware will nows support ubuntu and no other distro ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

thinkpads and dell with ubuntu

i have just being reading distro watch weekly and the artical about thinkpads being installed with ubuntu and the fact that hardware will nows support ubuntu and no other distro and that this is a bad thing

but correct be if i am wrong
    but isn hardware support in linux hardware support in Linux if it works with ubuntu it will work with all distros wont it

if u don't like Ubuntu just reformat and install your flavor
    Oxtail75
    I Live In a Linux household the only windows i own are the ones u look out of

Arch with Gnome (Desktop)
    Arch with fluxbox (Laptop)
    FreeBSD 6 (Server)
    CENTOS 5 (the other 4 PCS)
    Linux user number 447395

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Hardware support is generally the same, but some distros add their own patches and sometimes proprietary stuff which may result in certain hardware being better supported than on other distros. I am pretty sure Ubuntu adds some proprietary stuff to their distro and thats why some people say its not a completely free (as in "freedom") distro.

I am personally not bothered about which distro is going to be on the Thinkpads, DELL or whatever else because there is a high probability that I won't be buying anyone of them anyway. What I would like to see is these big hardware companies selling computers with no operating systems preinstalled.

Linux Newbie
    dell sell tham and thats a good point
    Oxtail75
    I Live In a Linux household the only windows i own are the ones u look out of

Arch with Gnome (Desktop)
    Arch with fluxbox (Laptop)
    FreeBSD 6 (Server)
    CENTOS 5 (the other 4 PCS)
    Linux user number 447395