Find the answer to your Linux question:
There are two parts to this question. Have I done something foolish and killed my monitor, or is it just in its twilight years? As far as I can tell, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

LCD Monitor Recommendations

There are two parts to this question.
    1. Have I done something foolish and killed my monitor, or is it just in its twilight years? As far as I can tell, it's operating at a supported resolution and refresh rate. However, it occasionally flickers, going from bright to dim and back again. This mostly happens when it returns from power-save mode.
    2. Which monitors would you recommend for someone with limited desk space? Widescreen would be nice but isn't a requirement. The most important thing is that it be easy on the eyes when working for long stretches. (I'm a computer science student.)

The current monitor is a Dell 1703FP. I've had it for at least 4 years at this point, and it has seen heavy use during that time. It's doing 1280x1024 @ 75Hz, which is a little higher than the quoted "optimum" but still within the supported range. It runs through a KVM switch connected to a Debian box and an XP box, although the latter is rarely used.

What do you think?

oz
    forum.guy
    I've been extremely happy with my Samsung SyncMaster 19" LCD.
    oz

I'm no monitor expert but I've been very happy with my Dell 2407 WFP. I've had it for about 7 months. The colors are brilliant and it looks very sharp at 1920x1200. Also, it's only 8 inches deep so you don't have to worry about desk space. The only bad thing about it is it doesn't have an HDMI port. Honestly, you don't think about it when you're using a standard screen size but once you go to a large, widescreen monitor, you wonder how you ever got by without it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrillhouse View Post
    I'm no monitor expert but I've been very happy with my Dell 2407 WFP. I've had it for about 7 months. The colors are brilliant and it looks very sharp at 1920x1200. Also, it's only 8 inches deep so you don't have to worry about desk space. The only bad thing about it is it doesn't have an HDMI port. Honestly, you don't think about it when you're using a standard screen size but once you go to a large, widescreen monitor, you wonder how you ever got by without it.
    For clarification, it's the width of the desk, not the depth, that's at a premium. Based on the specs I've seen, the largest I can go is a 19" widescreen, and that might be a tight fit.

Just Joined!
    Well, I wound up going with a Samsung SyncMaster 932B, and the picture is beautiful. I'm still working on fixing the refresh rate, though. It's stuck at 75Hz, but the user's manual recommends no higher than 60.

oz
    forum.guy
    Glad you are up and running. Be sure to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and enter your new horizontal and vertical refresh rates for the new monitor. Note that you have to be root to edit that file.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Glad you are up and running. Be sure to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and enter your new horizontal and vertical refresh rates for the new monitor. Note that you have to be root to edit that file.
    I'm running into some difficulties with this. Please see the thread I created on the topic.