Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a 52x Cyberdrive ATAPI CDROM and although it shows up in the text when Slackware 10 starts up, it doesn't show up in devices in Konqueror. I then ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

CDROM and external HD problem

I have a 52x Cyberdrive ATAPI CDROM and although it shows up in the text when Slackware 10 starts up, it doesn't show up in devices in Konqueror.

I then look in the fstab file and there isn't a line for it. Fortunately it recognises my Samsung CDRW so I'm OK for the time being. Is it just a driver problem or do I need to add something to the fstab to get it to work?

Also, the internal HD that I converted into an external doesn't show up. There are only Mac and Windows drivers for it but I thought there might be some sort of generic driver I could use. I've enabled all the relevant USB support and hotplug options(or at least I think I have). Again, this doesn't need to be solved immediately. Both pieces of hardware work fine on XP Pro(the other half of my dual boot).

I also came across the 'make symlinks dep' message, although I avoided this as I'm told it's not the best way to tackle these sort of issues.

Linux Engineer
    First of all make sure that the drive you specified is recognised in bios.if yes here is a helpful link how to edit your /etc/fstab file:https://www.cae.wisc.edu/fsg/linux/linux-fstab.html
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    After looking at another site, I noticed something else was wrong, this time with my CD-RW. Although it detects it and shows up as a Samsung CDRW in the opening text, my fstab shows it as a cdrom. I didn't think this was a problem beforehand because both perform reading duties and I thought that's just the way that Slackware deals with them. Here's the line for my CDRW from the fstab:

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,owner,user,ro 0 0

I took the ro flag out because I thought that had something to do with the initial problems that I had. But now I've found it makes no difference so I put it back in. I believe this is what the line should look like:

/dev/cd-rw/mnt/cd-rw iso9660 noauto,owner,user,ro 0 0

and I should have a line for my CDROM which looks like what the CDRW line is at the moment, but because of what I mentioned in my previous post, there's no line for that at all.

I've just about given up on my external hard disk, but if I can burn things on to CD, reboot into windows and copy them onto the disk from there (or leave them on CD) that would be fine aswell.