Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, i've been searching all over the web and all the documentation i find isn't ver noob friendly so is there anyone who can explain to me how to use ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB 2.0 HDD problem

Hi, i've been searching all over the web and all the documentation i find isn't ver noob friendly so is there anyone who can explain to me how to use my USB 2.0 Mass storage device on either Mandrake 10.0 or Fedora Core 2? thanks

Plug it in and (as root):

Code:
    tail /var/log/message
    If you see in the output that the drive is detected and assigned a node in /dev (should be sda1, sdb1, etc.) then you can mount it.

Code:
    mount -t auto -o rw,users,umask=0033 /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
    Make sure you create (mkdir /mnt/usb) the mountpoint first, and substitute the device that the kernel give the drive.

Now if you don't see it given a node in /dev in the log, you will have to compile the SCSI Disk Support and USB Mass Storage modulues and modprobe them. Let us know if you need any further help.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Just for future reference, if you are looking for documentation on any linux stuff... always check out www.tldp.org great site, and you can download all the docs to your computer for any references

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Oh yea.. also when you are looking for linux help with google, use www.google.ca/linux makes life alot easier