Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm pretty new to Linux, so forgive me if I'm being stupid at some point. I'll try and educate myself. So, here's my problem. I have this ATI Radeon 7500 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

ATI Radeon 7500 w/common Linux distributions

I'm pretty new to Linux, so forgive me if I'm being stupid at some point. I'll try and educate myself.

So, here's my problem. I have this ATI Radeon 7500 (PCI) which I'm trying to install in a slightly older computer. The motherboard on this computer (it's a Dell motherboard) has a built-in graphics card as well, but it's less than fantastic, so I want to replace it. However, every time I stick this Radeon in the box the computer refuses to boot. I'm sure it's a kernel problem, but I'm not sure what that means other than that it isn't totally related to the actual Linux distribution. I've tried Ubuntu 6.06, Ubuntu 7.04, Fedora Core 5, Fedora 7, and Gentoo on this computer and every single time it has the same problem.

When I remove the radeon and let it use the built-in graphics card, it works fine.

I'm not sure what the problem is, I've searched around a lot. If anyone has any idea about how I could solve this problem, I'd be grateful.

And if you need more information (which you probably do), just ask.

Thanks!

ATI cards are notoriously buggy in Linux due to poorly written drivers from ATI. However, a relatively old card like a 7500 should be supported by the open-source Radeon drivers.

Can you give more details into what happens? Does the computer freeze completely or do you just get a blank screen? Did you disable your onboard chip in your BIOS before booting with the ATI card? Are you *positive* there isn't some sort of hardware damage to the ATI card itself?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Here's exactly what I do:
    1) Insert the radeon into a random PCI slot
    2) Turn on the computer
    3) Boot whatever copy of linux is installed (it doesn't matter, the same thing happens on all of them)
    4) Everything is visible and works fine until Linux is somewhere in the inital boot process (before any graphics), and suddenly it does one of two things:
    a) Stops dead in its tracks, giving me terms about the kernel followed by a whole bunch of hex numbers.
    b) Starts looping through a whole bunch of data which looks similar to that in (a) - it never ends

As for disabling the onboard chip in the bios, I'm not sure how to do that. In the BIOS, the nearest relevant thing I can find is the Primary Video Device, which offers me a choice of "AUTO" or "On-board".

As for the physical chip, I'm VERY sure that it's in good condition, but ATM I'm testing it with Windows to make sure. But I think I can assume that it works fine.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I tested the card with Windows 98, it works perfectly.

I'm almost positive the issue here is with your ATI card. It may not be damanged in any way, but Linux seems to be having trouble dealing with it. Have you tried loading up Ubuntu 7 and choosing "Install in safe graphics mode"? There is also an "alternate" ISO you can get for Ubuntu that installs in a completely text-based environment.

Also, I'd make sure you've disabled your onboard video before you boot any Linuxes. It's also possible that Linux is confused by your two video devices and doesn't know which one you want to use.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I have tried installing in text mode. The installation runs smoothly, but the operating system still fails to boot. I have also tried installing in safe graphics mode, with similar results.

But, how do I disable the onboard one? I'm not sure it's giving me the option. I can go the Advanced section, but it only gives me the option to choose "Primary Video Adapter", and choices of "AUTO" or "On-board". I currently have it set to AUTO. I can't find an option to disable it. The motherboard is out of a Dell 2350, if that's any help. =/
    Last edited by ElectricEffect; 10-27-2007 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Added additional information

Also, I am able to boot if I turn off hardware detection, but then there's a problem with a certain x-server.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricEffect View Post
    Also, I am able to boot if I turn off hardware detection, but then there's a problem with a certain x-server.
    Could you post the error? It might help.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I can't like copy or paste the information from the error - it's a nice long description.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricEffect View Post
    I can't like copy or paste the information from the error - it's a nice long description.
    Can you at least paraphrase it? It's very hard to diagnose the problem if we don't know what the error is.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants