Find the answer to your Linux question:
Are all the hardware drivers in the kernel? I'm thinking of switching from Ubuntu to Arch just as a learning exercise, but I don't know how drivers are done. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Drivers in kernel or distro?

Are all the hardware drivers in the kernel? I'm thinking of switching from Ubuntu to Arch just as a learning exercise, but I don't know how drivers are done. I always hear about how Ubuntu handles hardware really well, and I was wondering if I might have issues if I go to another distro. If anything, I think Arch has a newer kernel than Ubuntu, so it might have better hardware support, but I don't know if this is true. Any help on this? Thanks!
    Dan

Most drivers are in the kernel. Depending on how odd the hardware is you may have to do some work to get it working in Arch. I doubt Arch's kernel is that much newer, so it is unlikely that will be an issue.
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by danbuter View Post
    I think Arch has a newer kernel than Ubuntu, so it might have better hardware support, but I don't know if this is true. Any help on this?
    Arch is currently using the 2.6.23.1 kernel. I have no idea what kernel Ubuntu uses.

The Arch devs usually release a new kernel package within a few days of each new kernel release, but it doesn't always happen that way.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Yeah, I think if your hardware is supported under your current distro, then you shouldn't have any trouble with the next one. Oh, and Ubuntu uses the 2.6.22-14 kernel, so Arch's isn't much newer anyway.