Find the answer to your Linux question:
Anybody know of good sound cards that are well supported in Linux that I can get for a good price? I was going to go through Creative Labs with the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Good Sound Card for linux?

Anybody know of good sound cards that are well supported in Linux that I can get for a good price? I was going to go through Creative Labs with the ALSA drivers, but I hear that lately Creative has been very uncooperative with support for Linux.

I've been having a lot of trouble with my current on-board audio with ALSA, so I've finally decided that getting a new sound card is the way to go. Any help or ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Robert

Hi - Check this out if you're using ALSA (good choice!): http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply fingal. I've been looking through that for about five or six minutes now, and I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with a good sound card that works well with the ALSA drivers.

Fingal, are you using a sound card other than on-board? If so how well does it work with ALSA and what brand is it?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Nevermind fingal. I am happy to say that I've just gotten my sound working after a series of trial and error. I am now going to get a subscription of Cedega and completely switch all my activities to Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by The O'Really Factor View Post
    Thanks for the reply fingal. I've been looking through that for about five or six minutes now, and I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with a good sound card that works well with the ALSA drivers.

Fingal, are you using a sound card other than on-board? If so how well does it work with ALSA and what brand is it?
    Pleased you got your card working. I've been using a Creative Labs SB Live! card with the EMU10k1 module for a while. It was very cheap (around GBP 25) but - through a set of Altec Lansing speakers - produces more than enough volume for me!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Thanks.

All it took was recompiling the ALSA drivers for my card. I heard some Creative cards are a pain in the arse to get working.