Find the answer to your Linux question:
Does anybody know of a manufacturer that sells desktops with Linux installed or no operating system at all? I know Dell has their Ubuntu deal, but the hardware specs are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Desktop with Linux or no OS

Does anybody know of a manufacturer that sells desktops with Linux installed or no operating system at all? I know Dell has their Ubuntu deal, but the hardware specs are weak. I really don't want to buy a box with Vista and support m$.

Thanks!

Try this one -

- system76, Inc.

They are pretty popular.

You can also assemble it your self.
    I did that aswell.
    Then you know for sure that the Hardware is supported..
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

oz
    forum.guy
    Walmart is now selling some Linux loaded PCs, but again the specs are very weak.

Note that there's a post about them in the Coffee Lounge.
    oz

Awesome, thanks for the info.

I've bought four Dell 'N' series computers over the last 5 years, that is, a Dell with no operating system. They give you freeDos to go with it... I guess it pleases Microsoft for them to do that, I've had very good service out of all of them.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux User
    Building a computer yourself is highly recommended, usually a great learning experience and much cheaper (30% to 50% off is my personal guess for a machine with comparable specs). You also have more control over your upgrade path.
    Another option I have used in the past is to buy a used computer. A large wave of P4 desktops is just hitting the auction sites and be with us for the next 4 to 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by technossomy View Post
    Another option I have used in the past is to buy a used computer. A large wave of P4 desktops is just hitting the auction sites and be with us for the next 4 to 5 years.
    Just a few minutes ago one of my customers asked my advice on a new Dell for his wife because he said his present computer had gotten slow. Now this was a computer that cost him over 2400 dollars new seven years ago! I told him it was likely the operating sytem that needed cleaning and fixing rather than the hardware, but he's already committed to sell his old computer to his plumber for fifty bucks!!

This story just goes to demonstrate there are likely a kazillion computers out there that are perfectly fine hardware wise, but most people are just not aware of where problems are, and shuck really nice machines for a song and a dance. What a pity... I feel certain that a good cleaning and tweaking could have had this box back in excellent condition in no time... Oh well... The computer market is fueled by a lot of ignorance too...

So yes... It might be very worth it to shop around for an older box like this.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

I'm a builder myself. I still buy the odd OEM piece. For example I just bought the equivalent of the Dell Ubuntu laptop but unfortunately you can't get Ubuntu here yet.
    Anyway it's like this. I've been using the same computer for 4 years. All I've changed is the motherboard, case, CPU, drives, graphics cards and RAM I do the odd upgrade here and there so it doesn't feel like much changes with the exception of the big CPU/Mobo upgrade I just did.