Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, I'm relatively new to the Linux world, though I have a little experience with the command line (and I had SuSe ver 8.2 installed looong ago). Here's my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question nVidia GeForce FX 5200 - NO GUI!!

Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to the Linux world, though I have a little experience with the command line (and I had SuSe ver 8.2 installed looong ago).

Here's my problem. My home built PC has the Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 (128MB RAM, AGP) video card. I have tried installations with the following Linux distributions:

Fedora 6, Fedora 7, Ubuntu, SuSE 9.x (all 32 bit installs btw)

In EVERY install, it cannot launch x server to bring me to a GUI. The start up screens (when starting with a graphical install) always fail (look way out of whack, can't see the menu choices). This happens as you progress through the installations. The initial splash screens (like Ubuntu's with the install choices) looks fine. I've had them all install successfully with text install, but again no luck on a GUI.

I tried changing the driver under the Device selection in the xorg.conf file to nv (it was S3). No results... so I went to Nvidia:

I got the appropriate 32 bit driver package from nVidia found here:
    Linux Display Driver - x86
    I checked to ensure my card is on the supported driver list associated with this file. This file even helps set up one's xorg.conf file (as stated by Nvidia) for a noob like myself.

Ran the file, and I get this:

Warning: You do not appear to have an NVIDIA GPU supported by the 100.14.19 NVIDIA Linux Graphics driver installed in this system. For further details, please see the appendix SUPPORTED NVIDIA GRAPHICS CHIPS in the README available on the Linux driver download page at Welcome to NVIDIA - Graphics Cards, Motherboards, Notebooks, Desktop PCs

Hit OK. Next screen has the license agreement (sign over your soul for cool moving pic-itures, etc.) Hit OK. Next problem:

No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; would you like the installer to attempt to download a kernel interface for your kernel from the NVIDIA ftp site (ftp://download.nvidia.com)
    Hit YES. Next:

ERROR: Unable to find the development tool 'cc' in your path; please make sure that you have the package 'gcc' installed. If gcc is installed on your system, then please check that 'cc' is in your PATH. Hit OK. Installation has failed see the log file for details.

One final thing is I've done these installs in two environments: One on a partitioned drive on my computer, the other in the Microsoft Virtual PC (hey it was free).

I've searched nvidia's forums and various other sites (via google) for possible solutions with this card. If anyone has any answers for me (like for starters what the heck are those CC and GCC tools/packages are), I'd greatly appreciate it. Sorry this post was so long, but I wanted to be as thorough as possible.

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Modius View Post
    I've searched nvidia's forums and various other sites (via google) for possible solutions with this card. If anyone has any answers for me (like for starters what the heck are those CC and GCC tools/packages are), I'd greatly appreciate it. Sorry this post was so long, but I wanted to be as thorough as possible.

Thanks everyone.
    You need to make sure you have gcc x.x (mine is gcc-4.2). It will show in /usr/bin and then check in same folder for simlink cc. This should point to the same gcc version. So if your kernel was compiled on gcc-4.2 and cc points to gcc-4.3 Nvidia can't do it's job.
    Check the Nvidia installation log probably in /var/log and it will give you the gcc version.
    Then amend the cc link if necessary and try again with the Nvidia driver file.
    Pete

Just Joined!

no gcc or simlink files

Ok, went to look for the gcc and simlink files in /usr/bin
    Typed this command (to ensure i did this right)

ls *gcc*
    nothing

ls gcc*
    nothing

same for the simlink files. went with an ls | less and looked manually to ensure i didnt screw something up. Neither of those files exist (this is in Fedora 6). Any other possiblities?

First of all try to set the driver in xorg.conf from "S3" to "vesa". I don't understand why your 5200 was identified as an S3. This should give you a working monitor. I believe you only miss gcc, so get it installed easily with your package manager. Then try to install the driver. If you still fail I would suggest installing the driver from your distro's repositories.
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041

Just Joined!
    WOO HOO! Ok the vesa change got me the desktop. Thank you much for that.

However, where is this package manager that i can install the gcc from? Is this off the install CD. Again I'm sorry but I'm very new to all the in's and out's of Linux. Only reason I know some command line is b/c DOS was my babysitter at age 3.

Thank you again though valemon for that vesa suggestion. Thats a start right there.

which distro are you using now?
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041

Just Joined!
    I'm running fedora 6 in the virtual PC

open the terminal and type
    yum install gcc
    This should install the gcc compiler and will let you build the nvidia drivers
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041