Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an asus motherboard and I was wondering they memory is compatible with other asus motherboards? Also what about if its a dual core can I put a pentium ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

asus motherboard

I have an asus motherboard and I was wondering they memory is compatible with other asus motherboards? Also what about if its a dual core can I put a pentium 4 in until I get a dual core? Im sorry for it being off topic I just didn't where else to put this thanks guys. Also reasontly I have found a kewl chat room specificly for ubuntu users its called xchat its awsome!

Just Joined!
    Hi
    Yah everything u want to do can work, just go on and do that.
    All the best

Cheers
    Robin

the memories should be compatible (I assume they are both ddr or ddr2). core2duo uses socket 775 which also accepts p4 processors. So you may have compatibility and a working system.
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brandog View Post
    I have an asus motherboard and I was wondering they memory is compatible with other asus motherboards? Also what about if its a dual core can I put a pentium 4 in until I get a dual core? Im sorry for it being off topic I just didn't where else to put this thanks guys. Also reasontly I have found a kewl chat room specificly for ubuntu users its called xchat its awsome!
    Hello.

1.) Go to the ASUS-website: Look under motherboards. Type your model name into the search engine. Look at the specs, and all the information about the compatibility.

2.) The memory swapping, won't be any problem.

3) The same size of the socket, is no indication for if you can use a specific processor on a motherboard: Either ASUS states, that a specific motherboard model does support a specific processor, or not. But if the answer is negativ, you don't have to take it for granted, and you can make further research about the issue. To get a motherboard to work nicely togeter with a (unsupported) CPU, you would have to do some configurations in the BIOS, and possibly as well some manuel configurations to the hardware of the motherboard.

A Pentium 4 processor is a rather outdated CPU...

- And oh!!: I nearly forgot: Most important it is, to read the handbook which came together with your motherboard, if you bought it separtely.

If you don't have one by hand, just download and print it out from the same page on the ASUS-website, where your model is listed and prescribed (your motherboard).

In the handbook of your motherboard, you will find instructions, how to configure your BIOS-settings, for different purposes, like for example your issue about the prozessors, etc.

There, in the handbook, are also drawings of the layout of your motherboard, with all cable attachments prescribed (location and number). Etc.

Cheers, my friend, and have a nice weekend. Heartily greetings,

Alexander

Just Joined!
    alright thanks guys yes Im quite aware thats my pentium 4 is outdated just want to keep it until I can't play games with it anymore (get my moneys worth before I go buying a dual core. by doing it this way I save money and it can be upgraded when I need it to be!

Just Joined!
    Hey its ok, provide u read yo manual, i personally use a p4 and i play the heaviest games, so its no old, just insert in and it will work, there is not much change in the physical appeareance of the chip, a dual core and a p4 are the same, i am using an intel board, and its has support for Dual core, these guys a just scaring u, be like a man.
    The only challenge u might have is Ram frequency support, if yo board does not support the ram, well u might buy a new one that works with that board.

This my Board, Read and see what i can support.
    Intel® Desktop Board D945GCCR Overview

So don't worry
    Robin

Banned
    I surely do not want to scare any user, from achieving what he would like to do.

There are two ways of doing something:

Method 1: Try and error.

Method 2: Read all the websites of the manufacturers, as well as all the handbooks first, about your issue, before you start experimenting.

I suggested to do it the more analytic way.

It would be nice, if the readers would just appreciate that, instead of saying like: Nonsense, "be like a man".

I say: Be like a successful computer user. That has a good attitude, learning attitude, and method of getting things solved.

More security, less risk. Try and error, might be fine, for some tasks. But we do get a lot of error message, so try to avoid getting too many of them, by proceeding in a smart way at first place.

No:
    I am not trying to scare any user. I am trying to encourage him, and that he can make some nice experiences, and have fun and pleasure with his computing.

Thank you, for your attention.

Kind regards,
    Alexander