Find the answer to your Linux question:
As a service to the linux community, we have produced a concise list of hardware that is known to work well with Linux. It covers everything from desktop internals to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Hardware Buying Guide

As a service to the linux community, we have produced a concise list of hardware that is known to work well with Linux. It covers everything from desktop internals to peripherals like cameras and printers. It is in PDF format and is suitable for printing and taking with you when shopping.

http://linuxadvocate.org/articles.php?p=2

Yay

Just Joined!
    Cool link, although it's missing quite a lot of hardware.

For instance, there are a lot more USB scanners that work than the ones listed, including dedicated 35mm film scanners, which none were listed.

Also, what about DVD+/-RW? I have a Lite-On 8x DVD+/-RW drive, and it works great. I burned my first ISO on a DVD in Linux using KB3 about a week after I installed Slackware 10. I really had no problems, other than properly setting up my fstab, and getting all the packages KB3 needed installed. Basically, the installation was about as difficult as it should be on Slackware.

Dan O.

Just Joined!
    Wouldn't this list vary depending on the type of OS and kernel you have?

Linux Engineer
    good guide....we will take care when buying new products!
    Linux For Ever!

afm
    Just Joined!
    I wasn't able to open the PDF (I'm very unfortunate to be using XP right now, so this may be the cause).

BTW, how is your list different from the Linux Hardware Compatibility HOWTO, which is very complete IMHO?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by afm
    I wasn't able to open the PDF (I'm very unfortunate to be using XP right now, so this may be the cause).
    I tested it in XP. How are you trying to open it? Did you read the instructions on the web page? Adobe Reader can be quirky.

Quote Originally Posted by afm
    BTW, how is your list different from the Linux Hardware Compatibility HOWTO, which is very complete IMHO?
    I think it's different in a few ways. The most obvious is that it's suitable for printing. I often find myself browsing sale items in a store, and wondering what is supported in Linux. That's really what the guide is for.

Plus the HBG has only purchasable products (not chipsets, not laptop internals) and the goal is to have only recommended products (not just 'supported' products).