Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am implementing a redundant storage system and am considering using software RAID via Linux (e.g. Red Hat). One requirement is to be able to move the disks from the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Moving Linux SW RAID sets between systems

I am implementing a redundant storage system and am considering using software RAID via Linux (e.g. Red Hat). One requirement is to be able to move the disks from the physical hardware to another system. In what ways am I SOL?

Specifically, I am considering RAID 1+0. Two cases I've considered include:
    - Having two redundant systems that have the same configuration, including hardware and OS.
    - Having a separate system that can read the RAID volumes (similar or identical OS), but may not be the same hardware configuration (for example, it may have fewer drive bays than the mirrored RAID configuration requires).

Assuming I had disks A, B, C, ... and a, b, c, ... (Aa, Bb, Cc are mirror sets), my initial plan was to pull A-D (or a-d), put them in the other system, and mount them as a RAID-0 set. I am currently assuming that the drives would not have to be inserted in any particular physical order if I use Linux SW RAID.

I realize this is fairly open-ended. Ultimately looking for feasibility, in terms of (a) complete rejection of the concept, or (b) identification of limitations of RAID (perhaps general, thinking Linux-specific) that conflict with some of my requirements.

Thanks!

S

Linux Guru
    Like most things of this nature, I think what you will run into will be based on the distro/version of md and any hardware issues...

So, I'd say the best way to find out what would happen in *your* environment would be to test it out.

No matter what *should work*, you're going to end up testing it out if this is anything serious. While I am usually moving hardware RAID sets, I don't see any reason why this shouldn't work...