I'm running SuSE 9.1 and I have some relatively small, yet incredibly irritating, problems with hardware support.

My GeforceFX 5600XT has problems with X. I've been successful in getting it setup on a 1600x1200 resolution and a 60hz refresh rate, which is what I aimed for. But there's some problems when I go to shutdown X or when I try to quickswitch users. It changes the screen refresh rates to what they are when SuSE is booting, but for some reason X just dies and I have to pull the cord. [edit] To clarify a bit, when I quick switch users it locks into a black screen. When I shutdown it either does that, or spews out loads of colours all over the place then actually shuts down. The colours make me wonder if it's just trying to push a resolution my monitor can't handle, but then again, I'm able to see the grain in the screen, so it looks like maybe 640x480 resolution maximum. And it's running at slower speeds than when I'm using 1600x1200 resolution.

My network problems are primarily due to my rather lackluster built in ethernet support. It's Intel hardware (the chipset, anyway) and it uses Realtek drivers on Windows. The Windows hardware manager says it's running 'Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC' drivers.

Last noticeable problem would be my sound. This one's got to be the most difficult to understand. When I'm playing CDs it sounds perfectly fine, but when the system makes a noise (alert sounds, etc) one of the channels is totally distorted out. This also happens when I try to use XMMS to play MP3 files. And yet, when I play Frozen Bubble the sound is perfectly fine. I'm wondering if I don't have OGG or LAME decoders installed properly? Anyway, according to Windows hardware manager my sound driver is 'Realtek AC'97 Audio'.

I'm not looking for specific help (unless anyone has some they could give me, which would kick ass) I'm more or less trying to find good resources on Windows-to-Linux drivers, or possibly some wrappers that would work.