Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a logitech wireless remote (model R-RB5 and described at: Amazon.com: Logitech 2.4 GHz Cordless Presenter: Electronics ) I want to use when giving lectures using pdfs and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post Change key mapping for logitech usb/wireless presenter

Hi,

I have a logitech wireless remote (model R-RB5 and described at: Amazon.com: Logitech 2.4 GHz Cordless Presenter: Electronics) I want to use when giving lectures using pdfs and acroread but I need to remap the buttons in order to do so elegantly. I have no idea how to do this.

I do have some information that I suspect will be relavent:
    $ /sbin/lsusb
    returns:
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:c515 Logitech, Inc.
    and

$ dmesg |grep Logitech
    gives:

input: Logitech USB wireless Mouse & Presenter as /class/input/input4
    input,hiddev96: USB HID v1.11 Keyboard [Logitech USB wireless Mouse & Presenter] on usb-0000:00:1d.2-1
    input: Logitech USB wireless Mouse & Presenter as /class/input/input5
    input,hiddev97: USB HID v1.11 Mouse [Logitech USB wireless Mouse & Presenter] on usb-0000:00:1d.2-1
    Can anyone point me to some resources or explain to me what I need to do and how to go about doing it?

Thanks for your time in this matter.

Sincerely,

Mike

Hi did you ever get anywhere with this? I'm looking into getting a remote as well and I'd like to remap the buttons.

I've got some thoughts on remapping the buttons. Does dmesg give any output when you push them? Depending on how the kernel interprets the events, dmesg may show them as unmapped keys. You can also use 'xev' to show key signals, if they are mapped to keycodes by the system. You can then use 'xmodmap' to map the keycodes to X key signals The following maps my media keys to control Amarok, Kaffeine, and volume:

Code:
    keycode 162 = XF86AudioPlay
    keycode 164 = XF86AudioStop
    keycode 144 = XF86AudioPrev
    keycode 153 = XF86AudioNext

keycode 160 = XF86Launch0
    keycode 176 = XF86Launch1
    keycode 174 = XF86Launch2
    keycode 227 = XF86Launch3
    keycode 122 = XF86Launch4
    I got the keycodes by running 'xev' and pressing the keys. Then use 'xmodmap' to map those codes to X key signals. The XF86Launch* were unused X key signals. Then I used the KDE shortcuts system to map those key signals to particular actions.

If the buttons are initially unmapped, but show up in dmesg as some kind of event, you can put the following in your '/etc/conf.d/local.start':
    Code:
    setkeycodes e008 136
    setkeycodes e00e 143
    where the 4-digit hex code (e00 comes from dmesg and the number (136) is the keycode to map that event to. Then use 'xmodmap' to map the code to an X key as before.

Let me know if this helps or if you found another way of mapping your remote's buttons, or if this is just too much info.
    HP Pavilion dv6000t
    Intel Centrino Duo 2.0GHz
    nVidia GeForce Go 7400
    Fedora 10

----------------------
    The real question is what time is it and why the hell am I still screwing around with my computer?