Find the answer to your Linux question:
My friend and I have been messing around with the newest release of Fedora, and both have decent video cards. He has an ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro, and I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

3D drivers installed, Compiz != work

My friend and I have been messing around with the newest release of Fedora, and both have decent video cards.
    He has an ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro, and
    I have an nVidia GeForce 7300 GT

I had originally tried getting drivers from nVidia's site, but that didn't seem to work very well (it's been a while, so I can't remember what exactly I did), so I then tried downloading drivers from livna. That also caused some problems, and I tried uninstalling it by typing
    yum remove kmod-nvidia
    However, I think that caused more problems than it solved, because I sometimes get strange happenings with X, like it not wanting to start, or something else strange. Probably a messed up xorg.conf file, so I just use the default.

Anyway, my friend Tyler didn't bother with drivers from ATI, and installed the ones from livna (maybe nVidia's drivers conflicted with livna's on my machine?). Nothing weird, he can access his 3D games & such, but when he tries to enable Compiz, it tells him "Desktop effects cannot be enabled," as if he didn't have 3D drivers installed & enabled.

Any suggestions for the two of us? me, to repair the mess I've made and then get Compiz, and him compiz too?

Thanks!
    Last edited by ck_asdf; 12-19-2007 at 02:24 AM. Reason: fixed an error

Just Joined!
    My friend Tyler installed the ATI drivers, tried running compiz fusion, and got the following error:

[Tyler@linda ~]$ fusion-icon
    * Detected Session: gnome
    * Searching for installed applications...
    * No GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap with direct rendering context
    ... nor with indirect rendering, this isn't going to work!
    * Using the GTK Interface
    * Metacity is already running
    ATI driver site:
    ATI Catalyst™ 7.11 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver

Just Joined!
    Tyler tried running the same command as root, and his results:

[root@linda ~]# fusion-icon
    * Detected Session: unknown

* Searching for installed applications...
    * No GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap with direct rendering context
    ... nor with indirect rendering, this isn't going to work!
    * Using the GTK Interface
    * Starting Compiz
    ... executing: compiz --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp
    compiz (core) - Fatal: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is missing
    compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
    compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Okay, I've gotten almost everything figured out. Someone helped me to update yum, then update everything else, then finally update my video drivers.

Compiz original works

I then got dual monitors to work after finding an nVidia control panel in my system tools submenu from Applications.

Compiz fusion works, though seems kinda glitchy.

Now that I have dual desktops ... my question is, how do I get stuff ON that second monitor? When I move my mouse to the right, it falls off of my first monitor onto the second. Good. However, when I try to move an application over to the right monitor, I either get stuck on the screen I am on, or the cube tries to turn to allow for putting the app on another side of the cube.
    However, I just want to move stuff over to the right side ...
    Suggestions?

Just Joined!
    Okay, I believe I realize what's happening here ... it's treating both monitors as two completely separate entities, so that I can only leave applications on whichever desktop I open them on.

This is fine for firefox and pidgin, which I always have open in the left & right screens, respectively, but what if I open gedit or a konsole in one monitor, but decide I want it in the other?

My question remains; how can I make it so that I can drag windows from one monitor to the next?

Just Joined!
    Okay, so I fixed dragging windows between monitors ...

but Tyler is still at a loss with everything video related on his computer.
    Suggestions?