Find the answer to your Linux question:
sorry if this is way off topic, but I want to add ram to my desktop that is running ubuntu. it's a dell 4700 p-4. I understand how to install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

O.T ram install

sorry if this is way off topic, but I want to add ram to my desktop that is running ubuntu. it's a dell 4700 p-4. I understand how to install the ram into slots, the thing that's got me stumped is, it says dell ram can only be installed in PAIRS; does that mean, the existing 512 that is in there has to be taken out completely first, and disgarded ? thanks for any help.

oz
    forum.guy
    If you have paired modules in DIMM connectors 1 and 2 now, just leave them there and put your new paired modules in DIMM connectors 3 and 4, but keep in mind that your machine will be no faster than the slowest pair. Also, be sure not to ever pair the old modules with the new ones.

Hope that makes sense.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    Thanks ozar....but... I don't get it, if it will only be as fast as the slowest pair, why would any one ever add ram ? this machine has 512, and i want it to be 1 gig, hopefully to speed it up a bit, it's getting slow in it's old age, also hoping that ubuntu alone -instead of dual boot- will be faster...I think the xp is where all the bugs live.

oz
    forum.guy
    No, no, I don't mean that your machine won't run faster with the added RAM. It should indeed run and feel faster unless you already have all the RAM that your machine can utilize, which is unlikely with only 512MB.

I mean that the RAM itself can't process any faster than the slowest pair. In other words, it can only process as fast as the weakest link. RAM is faster than a hard drive, so more RAM means less hard drive swapping/thrashing, so more speed.
    oz